Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with power for sous vide circulation pump

adamjohnson

Oct 14, 2016
Hi! I built a home sous vide setup for immersion bath cooking of meats in vacuum sealed bags. Built is a bit of an overstatement....I bought a roaster, a thermal probe, a temp controller, and relay and watched my friend wire it up. It works like a champ, BUT...there are cold/hot spots which is not good for exact temp cooking. I suppose that's why the professional models are called immersion CIRCULATORS. Soooo.....I got a submersible pump, good for high temps, and with some tubing that will solve my problem.

The pump came without a power supply, so I am looking at all my discarded transformers so see what might spec out. The instructions for the pump power supply are:

Specification: Maximum voltage: 12V DC
Maximum current: 380mA
Maximum power:5W

That's what is written on the website where I got the pump. Based on that, I have a 5VDC 1A power supply that I figured would not work because of the 1A > 380mA. :-[

However...the pump itself reads:

Input 2.5DC-12V 0.5-5W with no mention of current restrictions. ???

Do you think I can use the PS I have? If not, what's a good (common?) spec to look for? I have old unused power supplies from networking equipment, power tool chargers, toothbrushes, toys, etc. Something has to work!

Thanks!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Probably.

If it works, it will likely draw lower current than specified because it is running at a lower voltage.

You don't need much circulation. I'd recommend that you have the inlet near a cold spot furthest from the heating element and return the flow to near the heater.