Connect with us

Help with pots

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by benbrown, Jan 5, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. benbrown

benbrown

Jan 5, 2014
    I am building a billiard ball cleaner/polisher and the motor I am using is an inexpensive Harbor Freight 7" sander/polisher. The tool in question runs off of 110V ac and has a variable speed thumbwheel protruding from the handle. In order to downsize the finished project I removed the handle from the sander/polisher and was going to incorporate the speed adjusting thumbwheel into the design. The variable speed circuit is mounted on a small circuit board with the thumbwheel mounted to it. I am a cabinetmaker by trade and have some electronic experience but it is very limited. So to make things easy I designed this thing to fit in a nicely finished oak box with a timer and the thumbwheel protruding through the face of the oak. After many hours of drawing on the computer I had cut all my pieces using the CNC machine at work. However when trying to assemble this project I found out that the small circuit board with the thumbwheel sticks out too far inside and interferes with the exact location of the motor. The motor has to be in the correct location so I can not change it. I could not mount the thumbwheel to the oak box and just let it be on the inside and not have any speed adjustment but that would leave me with a small rectangular hole in the face of the box. So I was thinking if the circuit board mounted thumbwheel, which is a potentiometer or a rheostat, could be changed and remotely mounted it may work. My question is what kind of potentiometer or rheostat do I need to use and what value. I tried to measure the value of the thumbwheel in circuit but I don't know if it is correct. Using a nice Meterman electronic meter I got around 370 ohms. The thumbwheel goes from "minimum" to maximum" and when at the maximum position a switch inside the thumbwheel itself is engaged which I guess bypasses the variable speed circuit and allows the motor to have full 110V AC. I need to know if this can be done easily and with what value pot. Also when this thing is being used, it's only going to be running 15-20 minutes at a time and not continuous. All help and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks. I'll be posting pics here shortly.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Can you desolder the existing thumbwheel pot, run wires from the board to the pot,
    and mount the pot wherever it's more convenient?

3. benbrown

benbrown

Jan 5, 2014
    I suppose I could but it would be a pain mounting it without the board it's currently mounted on. I've decided to go with this. You can't beat the price.
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=360762219813
    Thanks for the reply though.

4. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Good luck with the project. It's good to talk to do-it-yourself people, like you.

Ask a Question