Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with old GE boombox

circuit_newb

Jul 15, 2017
hey guys,

I'm trying to get an old cassette player boombox that belonged to my grandfather back into working condition.
I'm having trouble with the volume and balance controls and I can't even get the thing apart..

can anyone tell me a proper disassembly procedure and some advice on how to clean the radio up and get the sound working?

the radio is a General Electric 3-5284 A, AM/FM Stereo Cassette Recorder. * Google link for image *
the problem with the controls is they are dirty and have been in a high nicotine envir.
the blanace is out and it crackles when changing volume, also the FM stereo ' pilot light ' keeps fading out
and it seems to be an issue with the 3 control pots. i'm trying to clean them but I cannot seem to get the radio apart to get inside. taken all screws out and it appears the cassette buttons and the extruding volume pots are preventing me from pulling the case apart?

https://www.google.com/search?q=gen...&bih=691#tbm=isch&q=General+Electric+3-5284+a

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
i'm trying to clean them but I cannot seem to get the radio apart to get inside. taken all screws out and it appears the cassette buttons and the extruding volume pots are preventing me from pulling the case apart?

I have found that pushing eject on the cassette mech so that the cassette door opens allows that to stop hindering case opening

have you actually taken the knobs off the vol etc controls ?

you link shows many different radio cassette units ... so we still don't really know which one you have

circuit_newb

Jul 15, 2017
I have found that pushing eject on the cassette mech so that the cassette door opens allows that to stop hindering case opening

have you actually taken the knobs off the vol etc controls ?

you link shows many different radio cassette units ... so we still don't really know which one you have

sorry, the model that I Have is the first 3 or 4 pictures that show up, i.e the small silver one with the black speakers.
one image should have a yellow tape measure pulled out along side it, laying on a red quilt.

Serial # = 080503 if it helps

and yes, i've pulled all knobs off. it almost looks like the face might have to come off, but I don't see how

Last edited:

circuit_newb

Jul 15, 2017
edit:

Are the tape buttons supposed to come off?
the silver plastic buttons that slide over the mech key ' tabs ' appear to be in the way.
the Rec button actually came loose on mine and I notice that with this plastic button gone, it looks like the case would be free to separate?

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
One possibility is that the unit is assembled in the box formed by the front and sides, then the back goes on as a relatively thin piece. To be sure, need high res photos of the back and sides.

It is common in consumer electronics today for each of the screws that must be removed to disassemble the unit to be marked with a small arrow molded into the plastic, pointing to each screw.

circuit_newb

Jul 15, 2017
200.jpg 300.jpg 400.jpg 100.jpg
One possibility is that the unit is assembled in the box formed by the front and sides, then the back goes on as a relatively thin piece. To be sure, need high res photos of the back and sides.

It is common in consumer electronics today for each of the screws that must be removed to disassemble the unit to be marked with a small arrow molded into the plastic, pointing to each screw.

all I have is my webcam, so not too sure about high res. ;)
but I did a full look around with the sides and the back showing.
200.jpg 200.jpg 200.jpg 200.jpg 300.jpg

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The back plate comes off. Check for screws you've missed - potentially inside the battery compartment and/or under the cassette door. The cassette door should come off be pressing a couple of plastic tabs 'in' on either side of it and opening it up beyond it's normal 'open' position.

Pull off all the control knobs, don't forget the radio tuning one at the side.

Once the back plate has been unscrewed you will lift it away from the bottom of the unit and pull it clear, exposing the rest of the inside.

Rastus

Jul 13, 2017
I think kellys-eye is right about removing the cassette door, and in your photos it looks like the screw below the base of the antenna is still there. It looks like the antenna needs to be pulled up and out of the cabinet before the back can come off.

Also, is that a switch at the left-hand end of the tuning dial (just above the speaker)? If so, see if the knob on the switch will pry off.

Last edited by a moderator:

circuit_newb

Jul 15, 2017
thanks guys, I'll try this.

@Rastus - good eye. lol yes that screw below the antenna base seems to be stuck in there and someones wallowed the head . if it must come out I'll have to drill it out or something.

i'm about to try and remove the cassette door

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
yes that screw below the antenna base seems to be stuck in there and someones wallowed the head . if it must come out I'll have to drill it out or something.

you shouldn't have to remove the antenna ... it's connected to the case and a wire will go off to the circuit board

Last edited:

circuit_newb

Jul 15, 2017
got it!

it was the buttons I missed. the selector buttons as well as the cassette knobs.

ok so I sprayed contact cleaner on the 3 pots and the 4 selector switches.
this seems to eliminate static and balance fade-out issue, however I'm not getting FM stereo.
no light, no apparent L+R, L-R separation. AM tuner is dead. although it may just be a lack of stations?

Last edited:

circuit_newb

Jul 15, 2017
Ok so I sprayed the little tuning capacitor and after drying for a while the stereo has come back.
the tuner is working great now on FM side. Still can't pick any AM stations up but it's at least picking up noise

Last edited by a moderator:

circuit_newb

Jul 15, 2017
Now that I have it open, I'm wondering if there's a way I can wire in an Aux jack..
It has a weird little condenser mic preamp thing on the side that has 9V DC in, and TRRS jacks for mic L and mic R, plus the headphone jack. can I bypass this and just run a line-level signal to the amp?

Rastus

Jul 13, 2017
Now that I have it open, I'm wondering if there's a way I can wire in an Aux jack..
It has a weird little condenser mic preamp thing on the side that has 9V DC in, and TRRS jacks for mic L and mic R, plus the headphone jack. can I bypass this and just run a line-level signal to the amp?

Maybe consider a "Y" adaptor plugged into the mic jacks.

About the AM performance, look at the ferrite rod...check the connections and see if there is a crack in it's core. If the box was ever dropped or banged around, it could have been damaged.