Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with momentary switch

ex0r

Mar 16, 2014
So, I have this circuit that I am trying to tap into for a custom electronics project I am working on. The buttons come from an original xbox.

I have included a picture of the buttons for reference, I have no other information on them.

frontpanelheader640.jpg

They are normally 'closed', and when you push them they open, causing the system to restart or eject. I am looking to see if there is a way I can reverse the direction on them, so that they are normally open, but when you press them they become normally closed. I am working with a raspberry pi, and if you put the system in standby (shutdown -h), then you can jumper pins 5 and 6 on its gpio header and it will restart the system. The problem with the button in it's current state, is they are closed by default so it starts the system right back up again (Unless I hold the button down, and then let it go to bring it back online)

The buttons have 4 posts on them, two appear to be for ground. Is there a way I can reverse these? Either by adding a component after the switch, or wiring the switch a different way?

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hello
Why not change the switches? Is that an option?
Thanks
Adam

ex0r

Mar 16, 2014
I am trying to avoid removing the current ones. The leads are very tiny and I am not the best at soldering. I burned out a solder pad trying to remove one of the original leds. Plus I wouldnt even know if I got the right ones or not as far as size and hole size.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
All you do is cut the legs off and then remove the little legs with a bit of solder on the iron and touch the leg and whip it out. You will only improve your soldering skills with practice. We can help you do that. Where are you based?
Adam

ex0r

Mar 16, 2014
All you do is cut the legs off and then remove the little legs with a bit of solder on the iron and touch the leg and whip it out. You will only improve your soldering skills with practice. We can help you do that. Where are you based?
Adam

I am in Jackson, Michigan. Where is a good place to get replacements? I used to use mouser and digikey but when I only need 1 or 2 it's expensive.

RadioShack is non existent in my area anymore :(