Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with identifying component please!

Robmac174a

Sep 26, 2011
Hi, I'm trying to identify this componant from a washing machine pcb. I'm assuming its something to do with regulating the voltage to the drain pum as it's the only bit that's not working correctly. Also when I test the voltage going to the pump, there is some there but not enough to turn the motor.

I have pictured the one I want to replace as it's blown, and I've pictured and exact same component on the same pcb. It's the black rectangle with 3 prong 1 side and 1 prong on the other.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• 1b678304.jpg
    1b678304.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 355059f5.jpg
    355059f5.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 213

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Component identification

Hi Robmac174a.
It looks like a LDO voltage regulator package, but not 100% then on top you need its value / parameters, really you need a schematic for it.
Dave. :)

Digital_Angel_316

Oct 1, 2011
Hard to identify 'the' part. The case and function (seem to) match. The case style is called SOT-223

TRIAC0.8A600V3MA

1424681.jpg

STMICRO.jpg
Part no. 1424681 Manufacturer ST MICRO Manufacturer no. Z0103MN 5AA4
TRIAC0.8A600V3MA

DATA SHEET
http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/1424681.pdf

29 cents, Jameco Electronics (not sure you can buy just one)

Here is the same package, different part - LDO per an earlier post/observation

Low Dropout Regulator 3.3 Volt 0.3A 4-Pin (3+Tab) SOT-223

1737830.jpg

LINEARTECHNOLOGYCORPLTC.jpg
Part no. 1737830 Manufacturer LINEAR TECHNOLOGY CORP.(LTC) Manufacturer no. LT1521IST-3.3#PBF RoHS compliant NCNR Catalog 281 , page 24

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
could be any power semiconductor, transistor, V.Reg, FET ..... many devices use that case style
only a part number would confirm what it is

Dave

Digital_Angel_316

Oct 1, 2011
I am thinking this is more than an intellectual exercise for the person who needs to know what the part is. Can you tell us if there is any marking at all on this or similar packages on the board? Sometimes there are markings, sometimes there are not (see pics below).

In the second picture, where does the large trace at the lower right hand corner go to? It is the one that necks down =====----------======.

Tell us what model machine you have, or if there is any markings on the circuit board and any other identifying information.

images
images
images
images

TBennettcc

Dec 4, 2010
Keep in mind that just because there is more than one SOT-223-packaged device on the same PCB doesn't necessarily mean it's the same part number. That's like saying every TO-220-packaged device on a PCB is a bipolar junction transistor.

Is there any way you can make any sort of circuit diagram? What about taking some very clear and in-focus up-close pictures of the front and back of the board and posting them here? The best lighting is going to be diffuse light from the background, such as an overhead fluorescent light, etc.

Digital_Angel_316

Oct 1, 2011
For the water pump, I would expect this is the sort of device (data sheet below) you are looking for. Generally speaking they are available for under $1 U.S. - It would be helpful to know the circuit components (and markings) around this particular part (the failed item). The gate current is a selection (and design) issue. This is NOT a recommended replacement or repair at this time.

Please get us more detailed information -- clearer pic(s), make and model of washer, components around the failed component - with values or markings, a sketch of the traces as you can best see them - simply how they link the parts together.

In the meantime, check the water pump filter to be sure there are no blockages (lost button, coin, other item blocking the pump). Something appears to have caused an over-current condition and barring a failed pump, which would not necessarily cause this sort of failure, there may be a pump blockage.

http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/BTA201W_SER_E.pdf

Digital_Angel_316

Oct 1, 2011
Robmac - come back! Did you fix it? Buy a new machine? What's up?

Tell us more of what is happening and about your make/model and more component identification, circuit tracing, circuit topology (a sketch of interconnecting lines and boxes with a pic telling us what devices on the board the boxes represent). I would particularly like to know where the three pins of the damaged device go, going back past the level of discrete parts to the IC's (or to the connector(s).

In the meantime, barring knowledge of make and model, here are a couple YouTube videos on the pump itself, to remove, electrical check, cleanout check:

pump removal/check/replacement -

pump electrical check and cleanout -

At each of these links there are many other makes and models presented.

2008-02-05.gif

Digital_Angel_316

Oct 1, 2011
Robmac - come back! Did you fix it? Buy a new machine? What's up?

Tell us more of what is happening and about your make/model and more component identification, circuit tracing, circuit topology (a sketch of interconnecting lines and boxes with a pic telling us what devices on the board the boxes represent). I would particularly like to know where the three pins of the damaged device go, going back past the level of discrete parts to the IC's (or to the connector(s).

In the meantime, barring knowledge of make and model, here are a couple YouTube videos on the pump itself, to remove, electrical check, cleanout check:

pump removal/check/replacement -

pump electrical check and cleanout -

At each of these links there are many other makes and models presented.

MODERATOR / ADMINISTRATOR:

Can you email Robmac174a asking for a responsive post? Forensically speaking, in a commercial product such a catastrophic electronics failure could be a concern that prompts a design change. From a consumer standpoint, it is a reliability issue that others may need to be made aware of.

We do not know the exact failure mechanism/scenario, nor do we know the repair or any potential design issue at this time. I am sure the laundry is either piling up, or perhaps an answer or alternative repair has been found. Either way, it would be good to close the loop on this issue.

Thank you.

ECOFlow.gif
0389f1.jpg

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Yes very thorough, he must comply, no only kidding your right no one knows the circumstances surrounding the mystery failure, new machine ? global problem, please respond Robmac174a, perhaps a solution is in sight, or if you replaced the machine.

Closure on the fault, as consumer electrical's can be affected on a massive scale, not saying that's the reason here.

But from a consumer safety aspect.
Dave. :)

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
MODERATOR / ADMINISTRATOR:

Can you email Robmac174a asking for a responsive post? Forensically speaking, in a commercial product such a catastrophic electronics failure could be a concern that prompts a design change. From a consumer standpoint, it is a reliability issue that others may need to be made aware of.

We do not know the exact failure mechanism/scenario, nor do we know the repair or any potential design issue at this time. I am sure the laundry is either piling up, or perhaps an answer or alternative repair has been found. Either way, it would be good to close the loop on this issue.

Relax people. Robmac is either busy with other issues or has moved on. What the cause for the fault was, and in what way he dealt with the issue we may never know.
Anyway, it's beyond our scope/possibility/responsibility to take any further action, that is up to the owners and sellers of the product in question. Just let it rest for now.
If there is a systemic problem with those machines then it'll take care of itself in due course by already established "systems". Lives are not at stake here afaik.