Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with holding circuit.....

gus1203

May 2, 2012
Hello I'm new here and like to get some help with a circuit. I'm trying to put a locking system together and here is what I want it to do. It is kind of like car alarm. I need it to open and close NO or NC. But when I open the lock I need it to stay open for a couple of seconds maybe 60 seconds and then go back to its locking position which can either be NO or NC. I'd like to control it with a remote control.
Any help will be great. Thank you all.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Are you actually focused on security or just making something that works?

Dollar for dollars if it's security you simply can't beat over the counter car door openers and alarm systems...

If you just want something that works, there are a few wireless generic key fob options or you can program your own micro based system with a over the counter cheap TX-RX modules... The delay can be based on a 555 timer circuit or micro based...

gus1203

May 2, 2012
Actually what i want to do is a garage alarm. All components will be 12volts i want to add a magnetic lock and a siren. So when i disarm the alarm the magnetic lock will be released as well as the siren then after a few seconds arm again on its own. I did look at car alarms bu im a little new on this. Im confused on the positive and negative triggers on the car alarms. Do you know what tney mean by that? Thanks

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I did look at car alarms bu im a little new on this. Im confused on the positive and negative triggers on the car alarms. Do you know what tney mean by that? Thanks

Different cars use different wiring, 99% of all universal car alarms will be what they claim aka universal and will include instructions just for your car and the polarity of the triggers... If you are not using it for a car the type of trigger doesn't really matter...

If you are using it for a garage just get a home security system... Why reinvent the wheel? You can get a complete ready to install house alarm system that should have plenty of window/door sensors for under $100 keypad, wireless key fobs, siren, motion sensors and all...

Last edited:

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
I agree totally with cocacola(except for the name... coke zero would have been better)
I am currently working in security and love the design aspect of securing a house including alarm installations. making something yourself is fun but it has to be tested, look up 12v alarms and find what you want. wiring for most of these alarms have become so simple its childs play.
I assume due to the 12volt nature you have already figured out a charging station also.
getting down to it find someone that does the alarm install and tell them what you want, decent guys will give you an idea of price too.