Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with Harman Kardon Citation 22 amplifier repair

You can see the service manual here: http://manuals.harman.com/hk/Service Manual/citation22 sm.pdf

The problem is no audio from the right channel. The problem occurred aftera lightning-induced power surge so I assume that was the cause. I expected to find bad output transistors but that was not the case. I believe the problem is not related to the protection circuit as I removed Q402 and disconnected 2 leads from Q418 (there is a brief description of the protection circuit on page 4 of the manual).

With an audio signal connected, I can see the the signal at Q404 & Q412 matching the left channel. At Q406 & Q458 the signal is gone.

Measuring some voltages I found Q420 to have -81V (E), -80V (B), +81V (C) compared to -6.7V (E), -6.1V (B), -6.4V (C) for Q419 on the left channel. Also, the +/-1.2V on the collectors of Q422, Q426, Q424, & Q428 is not thereand I cannot figure out where it is supposed to come from. Note that the rail voltages measure about 80V as opposed to the ~58V shown on the print (that is only for the Japan model I think).

Suggestions?

M

Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Jan 1, 1970
You can see the service manual here: http://manuals.harman.com/hk/Service Manual/citation22 sm.pdf

The problem is no audio from the right channel. The problem occurred after a lightning-induced power surge so I assume that was the cause. I expected to find bad output transistors but that was not the case. I believe the problem is not related to the protection circuit as I removed Q402 and disconnected 2 leads from Q418 (there is a brief description of the protection circuit on page 4 of the manual).

With an audio signal connected, I can see the the signal at Q404 & Q412 matching the left channel. At Q406 & Q458 the signal is gone.

Measuring some voltages I found Q420 to have -81V (E), -80V (B), +81V (C) compared to -6.7V (E), -6.1V (B), -6.4V (C) for Q419 on the left channel. Also, the +/-1.2V on the collectors of Q422, Q426, Q424, & Q428 is not there and I cannot figure out where it is supposed to come from. Note that the rail voltages measure about 80V as opposed to the ~58V shown on the print (that is only for the Japan model I think).

Suggestions?

Check D402 (zener) section and make sure you have 13.8 volts on that
rail.

N

N_Cook

Jan 1, 1970

The problem is no audio from the right channel. The problem occurred after a lightning-induced power surge so I assume that was the cause. I expected to find bad output transistors but that was not the case. I believe the problem is not related to the protection circuit as I removed Q402 and disconnected 2 leads from Q418 (there is a brief description of the protection circuit on page 4 of the manual).

Measuring some voltages I found Q420 to have -81V (E), -80V (B), +81V (C) compared to -6.7V (E), -6.1V (B), -6.4V (C) for Q419 on the left channel. Also, the +/-1.2V on the collectors of Q422, Q426, Q424, & Q428 is not there and I cannot figure out where it is supposed to come from. Note that the rail voltages measure about 80V as opposed to the ~58V shown on the print (that is only for the Japan model I think).

Suggestions?

would suspect FETs first as they seem to hate high dV/dt the most

would suspect FETs first as they seem to hate high dV/dt the most

Thanks for the suggestions. I had started looking at this a while ago and put it to the side. It turns out that I had removed one side of a jumper wire to make a resistance measurement or something and it was still disconnected. Replacing the connection brought the voltages back to normal and brought the audio back. It was Q402 that was bad.