Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with finding a Monitor for 220 appliance electrricity usage?

digitalincome

Aug 6, 2011
Hello - I'm new to this forum having searched for electrical engeneer experts forum - and could use some advice on equipment. I'm looking for the most accurate device to measure the use of an individual appliance that uses 220v - specifically - a walk-in freezer i recently purchased.

Problem - I rent space from a motel owner and after he agreed to allow installatin of a walk-in freezer - later had a fit when seeing the size of a typical 7 x 8 walk-in and said it would use too much electricity after i already purchased the used unit and had partally assembled. After some discussion - agreed to let it remain as long as i paid for the additional energy consumption. So - i need an accurate way to determine it's usage both to make sure I pay for what it uses, and also to make sure that i don't get stuck paying for energy use increases and higher bills that are a result of others rooms, etc and not a attributed to the walk-in freezer.

Solution? A device that would record the HW usage of the freezer accuratly - and I pay him what consumers energy charges. i've read another post about something called "kill a watt" - but in reviews and engeneer said it was junk, others said inaccurate, others complained about defective - etc - so going right to those that would know.

I don't need to monitor the entire complex electric usage - just an individual appliance - that i could mount near the freezer - and display monthly usage so the property owner and i can agree.

Thank you for taking the time to read my question - and thanks in advance for any help you could provide :)

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Use a refurbished electrical meter in a meter box. :) This would also give you the convenience of being able to read the usage in watt/hours. They sell them on the internet.

I seen some sold before for like $40 dollars

http://www.rvparksupplies.com/p/METER/

^^^ $80 dollars with box.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
You could also look at the "kill-a-watt EZ" meter. Not sure if those will accept 240v input though, I know the max amp rating is 20 though.