Connect with us

Help With Electret Microphone Project?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Zekkry, Apr 7, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Zekkry


    Apr 7, 2014

    I am working on my first ever electronics project. I'm a complete noob with this kind of thing. I am a musician in need of many condenser microphones for recording. Since I'm relatively broke, I sought out a cheaper option, and I decided I would order a set of 18 electret microphones. They are labeled as "Gino 18 Pieces 9.5mm Dia MIC Capsule Electret Condenser Microphones".

    What I want to do is create tube-shaped microphones that can be held or put on a stand, with a three-prong XLR connector at the bottom, so that it can be connected to a PA system or a recording interface.

    How would I go about creating a circuit for an electret microphone that can be fit into a tube shape? What supplies will I need, and how would I connect everything? Any help you guys can give would be very, very much appreciated.
  2. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    Jan 21, 2010
    You make a tube, you place the electret insert at one end, facing outwards. You speak into that end.

    Whether or not you'll get decent quality depends a lot on the insert you've bought.

    There are typical circuits for these microphones that you can google for. Note that an electret microphone requires a source of power. This may come from a battery (that can go flat) or via "phantom power" from the amplifier.

    This might work.
  3. KrisBlueNZ

    KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

    Nov 28, 2011
    I think you'll find that the electret microphones sound horrible for music. Their frequency response graph will look roughly like a silhouette of the Andes, and putting them in a tube will make things ten times worse.

    They're also not compatible with standard balanced microphone connection; their output impedance is too high and they are not balanced. Your simplest option to connect them together would be a step-down signal transformer - something like one of these:
    ... but these are pretty expensive.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day