Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with Crosswalk Signal - Man Lights Up. Hand Does Not.

chrischodefer

Sep 2, 2018
I am having trouble locating the reason why the red hand doesn't light up on a crosswalk signal I bought. The man lights up fine... then the countdown works, however the hand is supposed to flash during countdown and then remain solid until the man lights up again. Also note that the leds for both the man and the hand are intermingled. I replaced a couple resistors and a blown capacitor, but did not help. I am also very new to electronics. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Did you buy this new, guaranteed working or reject due to failure or? I'd guess there are LEDs in series for the part not lighting up, due to a failed LED, or broken solder joint.

Being new to electronics, it seems you have bitten off more than you can chew. Even someone new, should first seek the basics of tracing a circuit and using a multimeter, before trying to repair something.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
You could take a small battery (9V) and a single resistor (1kΩ) and connect them to each LED sequentially (observing polarity of course). Each LED should light up - the one that doesn't may be breaking a series circuit preventing the rest from working.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Could be series parrallel LEDconnections with a drive transistor dropped out.
Bit adventurous for a first timer I would have thought.
Might have been dropped getting it off the post.:) :)

Cannonball

May 6, 2017
Some multi meters with a diode tester will light an led connected across the led of the right polarity.

Try it and see.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir chrischodefer . . . . . .

I wonder if this is the unit which you have, and could be of this type of construction, in which, the failure of one of the activation OF / OR the actual output from the black SS relay units could be your units fault ?

If being the same like Dialight unit, measure at the four . . . .two wire connections . . . .to the Euro-connectors to confirm.

JGjKC_pbxSI

73's de Edd