Connect with us

help with counter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Torch, Nov 1, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Torch

Torch

Jul 26, 2012
    hey guys
    I need urgent help
    I designed a circuit using a decade counter but upon tests I realised that during a reset the first output is driven high. Unfortunately I didnt catch that part on the datasheet and designed expecting all outputs to be low until I start the count on the clock pin. I was wondering if anyone knows a work around or a similar counter I could use that can help me. I basically need all outputs low until I start toggling the clock pin. I am using a decade counter

hope the question is clear

regards

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    I presume you are using a 4017.

You could use a separate SR flip-flop that latches to 1 after the first clock pulse by feeding Q back to S. Then AND that signal with the 0 output of the 4017.

Bob

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Or, if you don't need all the outputs you could use outputs 2-n+1 rather than 1-n

4. Brianj_92505

Brianj_92505

Nov 2, 2013
    The 4017 is intended to be used as a “divide by n” circuit. You connect output n+1 to reset and presto, “divide by n”. You’ve decided that you want a “divide by n+1” circuit. No problem, connect n+2 to reset and on the count prior to that you get your all pins low condition, except for pin n+1 but just pretend that pin doesn’t exist and that your reset occurred I clock tic sooner than it actually did.

Ask a Question