Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with charity donation "house" with moving doors and sound

tamabukuro

Oct 13, 2014
hello,

i dont know much about this topic, or even if this is the correct website to be asking this, and this might be completely beyond my abilities .... but

i want to make a little house, perhaps 25 cm x 25 cm x 25 cm size, and i want it to have a trigger so that when a switch is pushed the front double-doors open, and a sound is played.

actually, it is for a charity box for my shop, i think that the standard ones given out by the charity shop is a bit boring, so i wanted to make something more interesting.

essentially, i want to make something happen when someone drops a coin into the slot.

i can get a dc 12 power supply into it, as one is already nearby, if that is any help?

i was figuring on a couple of servos, one for each door. id want them to open, a sound be played, and then for the doors to close, after a few seconds.

is this kinda thing hard or easily achievable?

help me!! its for charity ;)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Hi Tom and welcome to Electronics Point.

Detecting a coin in a slot is pretty easy. There are several ways. The first way is rely on the coin being metal and thus it will provide an electrical connection if it touches two wires. Alternatively you can use the weight of the coin to depress a lever connected to a microswitch. There are also a number of other more complex methods.

Once you have that contact closure to trigger things, then the limit is your imagination and/or knowledge & experience.

One approach is to extend the pulse using a 555, and use the 555 to trigger servos (or even solenoids or electromagnets) to push/pull the doors open. A simple approach to the sound could be a doorbell, or it could be as complex as playing an MP3 file.

How much experience do you have with electronics?