Connect with us

Help With Capacitors

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Casablanca, Jan 6, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Casablanca

Casablanca

Jan 1, 2010
    This is my second post on this forum. As I mentioned in my first post, I am trying to teach myself basic electronics. Since I got so much invaluable help the first time, here are 2 more questions.

I bought a variety of capacitors. The electrolytic caps are well marked and I have no trouble in determining their capacitance.

The problem I am having is making sense of the markings on the ceramic, and mica caps. For example, I have a green capacitor that is about 3/8 inches long and about the same width. The only marking on it is: “2A334J.” I don’t have a clue on how to decipher what the rated capacitance is. I also have some much smaller caps that are more or less circular, with a diameter of about 1/16 of an inch, and are orange in color. The only marking on one of them states: “221.”

QUESTION 1: Could someone teach me how to read the capacitance value of these caps?

Since I couldn’t figure out the values, I bought an Extech LCR meter, model 380193. The “2A334J” cap I described above measures 350 nF at 1Khz with a Q of 176. If I change the frequency of the meter to 120hz, the capacitance stays the same, but the Q changes to 362.

The second cap I described above (with the marking “221”) measures 208 pF at 1Khz, with a Q of 73. At 120hz, the capacitance stays the same, but the Q changes to 140.

QUESTION 2: What does the “Q” reading mean? It is not explained in the manual for the meter and I can’t find it in my textbook.

Thanks in advance for help with these 2 questions.

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Q1. Yes.
    The key numbers are 334, which are interpreted just like a resistor value, meaning 33 + 4 zero's = 330000pF (picoFarads) = 330nF (nanoFarads). Likewise 221 = 22 + 1 zero = 220pf. Letters may indicate the rated voltage and/or tolerance.

Q2: The Q is an old term and stands for quality factor. The higher the number is the less are the losses within the capacitor.
    There are both series and parallell resistances in a capacitor that leads to less than ideal properties - & losses. ESR is a crucial parameter of modern electrolytics. Search for "capacitor equivalent diagram" and you'll see how it works.
    Capacitance, ESR, & Q can all change with frequency, temperature, & applied voltage (depending on type of capacitor).

Ask a Question