Maker Pro
Maker Pro

help with cables?

T

tehtehteh

Jan 1, 1970
I am trying to repair some headphones and there are 2 cables that I'd like to replace, but I don't know what to look for

the first is a usb style cable, 5 or 6mm in diameter, with 9 individual wires running through it and the black wire being about twice the thickness of the rest

the second is a thin wire, 1mm outside diameter, with 2 individual wires running through it

I would like to get a smallish length of each of these but I don't know where to look, can you help?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there
welcome :)

try a local electronics store, most of them will sell cables from a metre in length and greater
instead of having to buy a whole drum

Dave

T

tehtehteh

Jan 1, 1970
the problem with that is any local shop here just seems to sell stuff like power cords or junction boxes and stuff for the home, the closest thing they sell to what I need is single strands of wire

now I could possibly get 9 of those, in different colours, braid them together, and solder that in, but that won't help with the other cord that has to fit along a narrow channel, so I definitely need 2 wires within a 1mm diameter outer cable for that and I'm not going to find it in any store around here

I was hoping more for terminology, I know what I want but I don't know technical terms for it, all the google searches I've done don't bring me the results I'm looking for because I don't know what to call the cables

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
well there's no shortage of electronics outlets in the UK
Maplins just to name one

from your earlier comment, it sounded like you went to an electrical store not an electronics store

Dave