Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with brick light

yearzero

Mar 30, 2011
Hi, I'm new to the forums. I joined to get help with a current idea.

I have two 15" white cold cathodes, here are the exact lights I have. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=white_cold_cathode-_-00-888-074-_-Product
I want to know an approximate list of parts I need to create a brick light with two of the cathodes run on 9v batteries. I have experience soldering, which I know I will have to do for this project.

I appreciate any and all help I get. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I forgot to mention, if I can get it wired onto a dimmer switch as well, that would be great.

Last edited:

jojo Cao

Mar 30, 2011

Hi :

We sold some brick light .I am not clear for this
But we have some inctruction sheet here for your information .
I am new here too

regards

jojo

Attachments

• Bricklight Diagram.jpg
    Bricklight Diagram.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 332

jojo Cao

Mar 30, 2011
Our instruction for Bricklight

INSTALLATION AND COMPONENT DIAGRAM

For Aluminium Die Casting Brick Light

NOTE: Before commencing installation please read this leaflet carefully

Electrical Characteristics
Rated Voltage: 230V, 50Hz
Class: IP44
Lamp Type: E27 Max 40W
PL9W

Brick Light Installation Instruction
There are two models of brick lights. One supplied with an E27 Lampholder, suitable for a candle lamp, Max 40W and another version supplied with a gear tray which will house an energy saving PL9W lamp. When the fitting is intended for continuous use, we recommend the PL version which is much cheaper to run (both in terms of energy consumed and in terms of lamp cost) and more environmentally friendly.

Installation Directions
This is common to both models.
Firstly, please check whether the light fixture has been damaged during transport.
When starting installation, disconnect the power first from the mains supply and then carry out the following steps:
1) Bring a cable from the mains to the position where u wish to install the fitting. Make sure the cable you use is suitable for the application.
2) Remove the front cover, the glass and in the case of the PL version, the gear tray from the fitting.
3) Using the fitting as a template, mark, drill and plug the mounting holes in the cavity. With a sharp blade cut a cross in the rubber grommet sufficient to allow insertion of the mains cable.
4) Insert the cables through the rubber grommet and mount the fitting in the cavity screwing it into position.
5) Smother the heads of the screws and the point of entry of the cable with silicon so as to ensure water tightness. If you do not do this, water will damage the fitting.
6) Make the electrical connection (see below).
7) Ensure that the gasket is well laid out and screw glass and frame into position.

E27 Version
Connect the brown (live) and blue (neutral) cable directly to the lampholder and the yellow/green (earth) cable to the earth screw. Ensure that the live cable (brown) is connected to the centre pin of the lampholder. Check that the circuit is working and proceed as indicated above.

PL9W Version
Replace gear tray into position and screw it in firmly. Connect mains cable to the terminal block ensuring that the the brown (live) is attached to the terminal block marked ‘L’, that the blue (neutral) cable is attached to the terminal block marked ‘N’, and that the yellow/green (earth) cable is attached to the terminal block which has the ‘E’ or earth symbol. Check that the circuit is working and proceed as indicated above.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi, I'm new to the forums. I joined to get help with a current idea.
I have two 15" white cold cathodes, here are the exact lights I have. want to know an approximate list of parts I need to create a brick light with two of the cathodes run on 9v batteries. I have experience soldering, which I know I will have to do for this project.

I appreciate any and all help I get. Thanks in advance.
Edit: I forgot to mention, if I can get it wired onto a dimmer switch as well, that would be great.

Hi, Welcome to the forums

these lamps are 12V so they are not going to run off 9V batteries anyway ( I assume you mean the small PP3 type 9V battery doesnt really have the power capabilities needed ?)

On this site is a cold cathode driver cct which includes a dimmer
http://www.educypedia.be/electronics/circuitsccfl.htm

]look just down the page a bit for this link
BiCMOS Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp Driver Controller Design goals for a Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp (CCFL) converter used in a notebook computer or portable application include small size, high efficiency, and low cost, pdf file

Dave

Last edited: