Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with battery power supply

BenThePCGuy

Jan 25, 2016
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the board but I'm also an almost electronics novice so please have patience with me.

I've built a simple bluetooth speaker inside an old cabinet using a ready-made bluetooth amplifier board. It uses a 12V power supply and is constantly plugged into the mains. The board just has audio L/R out and power in. All I had to do was solder a couple of speakers to it and plug in some power so you can't get much more novice than that!

I'd like to build the same sort of thing into an old portable radio cabinet that I have but would like it to be powered by rechargeable batteries - they could be AAs in a battery pack or even a lithium-ion battery. I also want to have the option of having it plugged constantly into the mains and of course it must recharge while plugged in and cut the charging when batteries are fully charged (over charge protection? I think it's called). There are many such ready-built devices around - most off-the-shelf bluetooth speakers will do this but I'm very new to this and don't know what to look for in order to make such a psu myself so any help would be appreciated please.

Can one buy ready-built power supplies like this and if so what keywords might I use to look for one?
I found an interesting video about charging batteries with a TP4056 board and have an idea I might be on the right track. Could this board be used to build what I'm after? I don't even know the name for it without saying..,
Battery-power-supply-that-can-be-charged-on-the-fly-with-a-mains-supply-pass-through which is a bit of a mouth full.
Ignorant. I don't even know the meaning of the word.:)

Further info.
The board is a bluetooth amplifier circuit using the TDA7492P chip like this one...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TDA7492P-...405975?hash=item4d36f37257:g:iHYAAOSwT6pV2OIM

Me - by way of introduction...
I have a computer tech/admin background - (started with system software degree) but not much micro-electronics experience. I made my own circuit boards at school many years ago - etched from simple templates in Practical Wireless magazine. A few small projects - sound-to-light unit etc with crudely soldered transistors, resistors, capacitors, diodes etc but back in those days components were lozenge-sized. Now one can hardly see them! I remember mucking about with 8 pinned chips but ICs have come a long way since 1975! I have a basic knowledge of Ohm's law still in my brain rattling around but no real micro-electronics knowledge as such. The projects I built may years ago was just like building Lego but now I'd like to learn more.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
You need to have a battery meet the voltage specs, 12vdc? Then use aa batteries in series to make 12v

Providing it's not a 110/240 ac connection..

BenThePCGuy

Jan 25, 2016
You need to have a battery meet the voltage specs, 12vdc? Then use aa batteries in series to make 12v

Providing it's not a 110/240 ac connection..

Thanks but I need slightly more than just a 12V battery power supply. I'd like one that will supply power when unplugged from the mains but one that can also be plugged into the mains using a DC power supply (brick) and when it is plugged into the mains the batteries should be recharged at the same time as supplying power. When the batteries are recharged the mains supply (DC 12V brick) should continue to give power but stop charging the batteries.

Such a supply is common in most bluetooth speakers bought off the shelf. One can run them on the in-built lithium batteries then plug a 12V DC supply in to charge those batteries and to pass through and supply power to the speakers.

The main problem I find is that I don't know the name of such a power supply to look for it.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
You need a way of charging the batteries/battery, supplying the correct amount of current and voltage..

A step down transformer from mains to dc to power your charger

Then it's a feed from your battery to what you're powering, there's not much you can buy off the shelf, maybe a 12v or 5v usb feed, it's not that difficult to build one...