Connect with us

Help with actuator project.

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by BeardyMcCheese, Apr 17, 2013.

1. BeardyMcCheese

BeardyMcCheese

Apr 16, 2013
    I am trying to make an actuator system that will push then retract to original position and then rest. The best I can come up with is wiring one (maybe two) power door actuators that will push a block forward then retract it then wait.

Here is where the questions begin.

1) Can I buy a 120v ac to 12v dc converter that will include the male and female connectors. Similar to the setup you would find on a laptop or other deice?

2) When researching door lock actuators, the wiring diagrams employ 30 amp 5 pin relays. Will these be necessary in my application or can I have a more direct system due to the fact that there will only be one input controlling this device?

3) I believe that all I need to do is reverse the polarity going to the motor to have it extend and then retract. Is there a way that I can set this cycle to run off a push button switch?

Thanks very much for any help you can give me. I apologize that I'm such a noob. Also I am open to any tweaks or suggestions that anyone has for the simplification of this idea.

Thanks!

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    1) Yes you can, but you would need to buy the female side separately, and you would need to know the current requirements of the actuator and at least meet them.

2) You don't necessarily need a relay like that, but that may be the way they reverse polarity to the actuator, so it may be beneficial.

3) Depending on how the actuator works you may need the switch closed for longer than just a push button.

Questions for you:

Do you want a system that will extend the actuator when pressing the button then will retract when the button is released?
    Do you have the specs of the actuator? (pictures?)
    Is this going to be moving a load of any kind?

3. BeardyMcCheese

BeardyMcCheese

Apr 16, 2013
    1) I would like a system that extends a block (any material really) and then retracts to the original position.

2) Yes this will be used to push a load. However the load is merely 4 cardboard squares approx 4.5" x 5.5" x .125". They also only need to travel 1.75 inches (+/- .25 inches).

3) I have very limited specs on the actuator. The only thing I know is that it is d/c powered. It has a travel of .75". I have attached a picture. As a note on this, all of the tutorials that I have watched say to use a 30a 5 pin relay when wiring this in a car.

I don't know much about this stuff so I appreciate any help. Also if you think you have a better idea about how to do this, just let me know.

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    A power window actuator from a junkyard would be a possible device that would have the kind of travel you need.

Bob

Ask a Question