Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with AC/DC conversion/inversion

ElectroNoob

Jan 4, 2012
Hi guys. I'm hopeful to get some advice from the electronic sages in these forums.

First, let me tell you my problem.

I have a plan to arrange my car's receiver in my home as well as a mini amplifier, which both you know take 12v dc current from the car battery. I am hoping to find a converter/inverter that will do so and to understand the difference between those two words. Its easy enough to find a 12v DC to 120v AC inverter but I have failed to find any 120v AC to 12v DC converters with the amount of wattage I need produced (about 400 if both the receiver and amp is installed, 300 for amp 100 for recievers amp) I am wondering if these common inverters are backwards compatable, so that I can just use any DC to AC inverter in the home by installing it for use as AC to DC. If not then what is my next option?

thanks.

ElectroNoob

Jan 4, 2012
Also, how many amps should the converter have? If there is a certain amperage do i need a certain wattage? I really am shooting in the dark here so if anyone could be specific in what I need to do or what i need i would really appreciate it.

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
Also, how many amps should the converter have? If there is a certain amperage do i need a certain wattage? I really am shooting in the dark here so if anyone could be specific in what I need to do or what i need i would really appreciate it.

You just need a 12VDC power supply. Google it, and you will find it.

400W can cost you 250 bucks for top of the line, but you can also find surplus supplies for under 60 bucks.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
An invertor is used to convert DC to AC. You want to convert AC to DC.

Radio amateurs use 12V transmitters which need a powerful 12V power supply (actually 13.8V). These are available up to 30A. Try e-bay?

100W from the radio should be enough to rattle the windows, try this first before adding the amp.

ElectroNoob

Jan 4, 2012
Thanks. I have a set of outdoor speakers max power 150w each and then for the interior I plan to use the car stereo to power another set of four speakers for general surround sound purposes 25w x4 probably for side speakers in my 7.1 set up. I did a general search for an ac to dc converter and it seems I mostly find inverters. Its too bad I can't use the inverter as a converter.

so to clarify, I don't need a converter that specifically handles up to 400w? Do you think something like those universal power adapters would be able to power either the reciever or amp? I wouldn't want to have a danger of a fire or to ruin the equipment.

would something like this be able to handle both?
http://www.amazon.com/Peak-AC-Power-Converter-PKCOJK/dp/B00354R0X8

here's one of those universals I was talking about. I could just rewire it myself.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=feAET-XjA6Hm2AWk5Y2OAg&ved=0CJkBEPMCMAE

this one looks really nice..
http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=5OAET4HUJu2rsAKPzdSRCg&ved=0CLYBEPMCMAY

should i just go for the last one on the list and power both the receiver and the amp?

Sounds like a safer, albeit more expensive bet.

Thanks again. It helps knowing I can't reverse an inverter to a converter.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The diddy power supplies are of no use to you, you will need thick wires and large terminals to handle your current. The last one you show, may do but I would not go for it as it gives no details.

I looked on e-bay "12V power supply 30A". Look for one which has a stabilised output and a low output noise. It will of course need to take your mains voltage, whatever that may be.

ElectroNoob

Jan 4, 2012
Thanks duke

looks like most computer power supplies are rated at 12V 30A, I have a used computer psu is there a way to use that, if the specifications are correct, to power my accessories? That would be nice.

Although if not, it seems those units you mentioned require a mediocre degree of knowledge to install. I don't even know where to start. It may just be wise in my case to buy a home audio amp and home audio receiver considering I don't understand how to wire a unit like this..

E1004-2.jpg

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Well if you can't wire this up, then you most certainly will get stuck on the computer PSU. But, I think you are seriously underestimating your ability. Therefor if you wanted to try and use the computer PSU,search youtube for computer power supply as a bench top power supply.

This is one of the most well known videos.

ElectroNoob

Jan 4, 2012
This looks completely doable. I'll have a PSU up and running in no time.

thanks for the help from duke and the coup de'grace on this topic by jackorocko

This thread is answered.