Connect with us

Help with AC conversion

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by yaldwyn, Oct 5, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. yaldwyn

yaldwyn

Oct 5, 2011
    Hello,
    I have a Haier HWR05XC7 Air conditioning unit which I use to cool a cheese aging room. To make the air conditioner run cooler, it is controlled by a coolbot, which was designed to do just that. I have the system set to keep the room at 52 Fahrenheit and it works great. (The coolbot is designed to keep a room as low as 34 F using only a air conditioner.) However, I would like the fan to shut off when the compressor in the air conditioner is off. I would like to cut down on the airflow in the cheese aging room. Anybody out there who could help me with this?

On another forum I got the following answer:

Remove the unit from the case. Based on the user manual (no wiring schematic found), the fan speed switch must be supplied directly from the on/off switch for the unit. Rewire so that the fan speed switch is supplied directly from the 120-V line that supplies the compressor. Follow conventional wiring codes for safety.

However, when I removed the case from the unit, I got confused by all the electronics and wires. I did find a wiring schematic so I'll post that here with the hope that someone can help me with my question. Thanks very much.

Attached Files:

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    The colours used in the UK are different but the following is what I interpret.
    The neutral is red except to the fan where it is grey.
    The compressor is fed from relay contact 3 with a black wire. This is the one to get power from.
    The fan apears to have two feeds, H and L (high and low?).
    High red S4 - colour confusion here.
    Low Orange S2
    Both of these should be disconnected from S1 and S2 and the appropriate one connected to the compressor black wire.

Confirmation of this interpretation would be welcome.

Duke

3. Digital_Angel_316

Digital_Angel_316

Oct 1, 2011
    Sounds like a lot of energy to make cheese. Please keep the room optimized for size/use and insulate it well. I guess only rich people get the cheese caves eh? No wonder I see all these Vegans cropping up. I hope you have your solution in the post above.

[​IMG]

4. Digital_Angel_316

Digital_Angel_316

Oct 1, 2011
    Have you read the CoolBot specifications and guidelines for your size room? The Haier unit you mentioned I believe is just over 5000 BTU, they are recommending 10,000 BTU for a 6' x 8' room. You may be already stressing the A/C unit.

Check with the many and various homebrew cheese making web sites to get first hand application information, air flow and humidity parameters as examples. Cold air sinks, so a uniform temperature without a fan or recirculation is trickier. I don't much like the idea of running an air conditioner when the outside temperature is already below that which you are trying to set your room at -- Canadian and Wisconsin Cheese over wintering .... hmmm -- maybe you could sell cheesehead paraphernalia and make more ...

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Reverse cycle :)

Ask a Question