Connect with us

help with a type of connector

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by tehtehteh, Jun 8, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. tehtehteh

tehtehteh Guest

I've been looking all day and got nowhere, so I'm asking here because maybe someone knows

I'm looking for a 2-pin connector where the female end is a single 2-pin socket, but it accepts two separate 1-pin male connectors, does that make sense?

automotive style - chunky, secure and robust

please help!

thanks

2. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    A photo would really help !
    It does to me but what dimensions you need ?

3. tehtehteh

tehtehteh Guest

the wires it'll be crimped on to are between 1mm and 1.9mm wide, fused at 1amp

size is not an issue but there is a 1 pin connector already in use in the car which has housing less than 10mm wide and the pin inside is flat and 6.3mm wide, if I could get close to this it would be great

4. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I use a lot of these when I add electronics in my cars.
    My first thought is that you were looking for spade lug type. They're just called 'adapters'. One female spade lug connector to two male spade lug connector 'adapter' (or vice versa)
    Thinking about it, I think you may be talking about the bullet-shaped connectors, like those used in trailer light interconnects. But I've never seen a single adapter for those (though they may exist).
    I guess we need more information or a picture?

5. tehtehteh

tehtehteh Guest

yes good point, I will get a picture of the connector that's in the car already

I have used bullet connectors before and found crimping them to be a really rubbish experience and they were never secure, I'd really like to get something more proper as I've redone the wiring loom and the extra wires look factory fitted at the moment, something that I can crimp on properly and then fit a proper housing over would do the job justice

6. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    There are good quality bullet connectors and cheap ones. AND, there are good quality crimping tools, and lousy ones. Those trailer hitch connections, when done right, are pretty reliable.
    You're right though, a picture will help us better help you.
    And there are a lot of other good quality automotive connectors available out there.

7. tehtehteh

tehtehteh Guest

this is the one that's in there already, somewhat similar to a spade connector, except it has proper housing, the exposed pin has been pulled out of the black housing behind it

Attached Files:

8. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Hmmm,
    Looks like a modified spade lug connector. The modification being the little locking tab in the center of the lug.
    Typically, those locking tabs are a part of the outside plastic connector housing.
    Have you checked the auto-parts stores in your area to see what they have available?
    I don't think I can recommend a better connector than the one in your picture.
    If this was me, I'd use a heavy duty (high amperage capable) spade lug set that has insulated covers.
    They make them where the male has an outside insulated cover and it slides into a larger (made to fit) female
    spade lug with it's own insulated cover.
    Key to your installation is the use of a high quality crimping tool. It sounded to me like the one you've got just
    doesn't make the grade.
    Maybe somebody else here will jump in with a suitable alternative you might like.

9. tehtehteh

tehtehteh Guest

davenn likes this.
  10. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Good work, and congratulations.
    Also thanks for adding the information you found. Posts here wind-up in Google searches, and it's great
    to have the answers to the questions people are searching for.

Ask a Question