Connect with us

Help with a two-way circuit?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Feeniie, Sep 10, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Feeniie

Feeniie

Sep 10, 2013
    So I have a problem. I'm trying to figure out how to make a two way circuit for some LED's in my car. I have the positive and negative wires, and it powers up when the trunk opens. I want to sync the LED's to the sound, and I'm pretty sure I do that by splicing it with the positive speaker wire. But I want to have a switch so I can switch it from syncing with the bass, to just normal, and have the LED's only turn on when the trunk is open like normal. Could someone help me understand this? A diagram would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Hi Feenie, and welcome to the forum.

I have read your post 3 times and I have no idea what you are talking about.

Please try to describe what you are trying to do, assuming we have no knowledge of it.

Bob

3. Feeniie

Feeniie

Sep 10, 2013
    Okay. So basically what I'm trying to do is wire 5 strips of LED's, to a switch. Now with the switch one way, I want the LED's to pulse to the bass (by hooking it up to my sub woofer), but only when my trunk is open. An overhead light turns on when the trunk is opened, and I think I have to wire it into that somehow. Now the with the switch the other way, I do not want it to pulse to the bass, but just act as a normal light.

4. Feeniie

Feeniie

Sep 10, 2013
    Also, there is a way I could do it with two switches. Make a switch cut off the connection from the LED's and the trunk light. Then syncing them with the bass, cut off the connection between the amplifier and the LED's. But that means I'll have to have two switches, and two pairs of LED's. Is there a way I can split the circuit so when the switch is flipped up, it syncs with the bass, and when it's flipped down, doesn't sync with the bass, but turns all of them on to act as a trunk light?

5. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Do you already have a circuit to make the LEDs sync with the bass output?

Bob

6. Feeniie

Feeniie

Sep 10, 2013
    Yes. That's simple. Just connect the positive and negatives of the LED's to the output on the amp. But I don't know how to restrict the current until the trunk is open.

7. Feeniie

Feeniie

Sep 10, 2013
    Actually, I guess I could just wire a switch to switch between having the LED's act as a trunk light, and the other syncing with the bass. I drew up a diagram, sorry it's crappy, just in Paint, but what kind of switch would I need for this? http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/653/5ync.jpg

8. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    not quite that simple .... its likely to kill the LEDs, you cannot connect them directly across the amp output. Wouldnt be good for the amp either. To get them to pulse to the base you will need filtering of the higher frequencies

Dave

9. Feeniie

Feeniie

Sep 10, 2013
    Okay, well I've seen it done on YouTube with the size amp I'm getting. All I'd like to know know, is my diagram correct? It seems I have to have two switches in order for the synced bass lights to go off when the trunk closes, so I'll just have a switch to change between the two circuits. Will my diagram work? Or do I have to attach the negatives back to the light? Or am I able to just ground them?

Ask a Question