Connect with us

Help with a toy

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by trenta79, Oct 15, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. trenta79

trenta79

Oct 15, 2011
    Hi all

I'm trying to fix an old electronic ride on train for my son (it used to be mine as a child). As you can see by the photo the area for the batteries (6 X 1.5V D batteries) has rusted out over time. What's the best option to get this running again? I'd love your tips. I even thought of wiring the rectangle 9V battery to it?[​IMG]

Thanks

Trent

2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    If the battery case is stand-alone, I'd just replace it with a new battery holder.
    The size 'D' batteries will have more current to run your train, than the smaller 9Volts.
    If you have to use this holder, you'll have to get rid of all the rust, and make sure the
    wiring to the rusted contacts is not also rusty.
    Another option is to use one of the large square 12V that are common, with a resistor
    to drop your output to 9V.

3. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
    The 2 connection plates between batteries are also missing (at least on the pictures).
    You can build them with small metal plates are scrap them from another battery holder.
    Hope your son will have fun with the train soon!

4. daddles

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
    Another approach is to use tie-wraps to join some new batteries together, then solder wires to the batteries' electrodes. Now, people will warn you about soldering to batteries because it's an "explosion hazard". That may be true, but if you use a reasonably-sized iron (25-50 W) and use the proper technique (i.e., solder quickly, but avoid a cold joint), you can solder to batteries safely -- I've done hundreds of batteries this way over the years. Of course, these tie-wrapped batteries probably won't fit in the original space. If so, then you can tie wrap them to e.g. a piece of sheet metal or an old PC board to make their resulting size about the same as the old holder.

Check surplus places like All Electronics, Goldmine, MPJA, etc. for battery holders (or pay much more at your local Radio Shack).

5. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Ask a Question