Connect with us

Help with a switching issue

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by DaveClark, Mar 9, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. DaveClark

DaveClark

Mar 9, 2012
    Hi all,

I wonder could you help with an question I have?

I have an extractor fan, plugged into a 13A socket.

The 13A socket is controlled via a digital thermostat. (similar to this one)

When the temp gets to high, the fan runs.

When the temp drops below a given point, the motor stops. All this works great.

However, I would like to change the operation so that when the thermostat circuit cuts power to the fan, instead of stopping, the fan idles.

In order to make the fan idle, I have a variac available.

Any ideas on how this could be connected? Would I need some kind of relay controlled switching circuit?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Dave

2. mechtronics

mechtronics

Aug 7, 2011
    is the process working off all AC ?? or have u a electronic DC circuit controlling the thermostat which turns on a DC/AC relay to operate the fan??

3. DaveClark

DaveClark

Mar 9, 2012
    There is probably a transformer in the thermostat device but otherwise everything currently runs on 240v AC

4. mechtronics

mechtronics

Aug 7, 2011
    i was thinking could maybe u could incorporate a relay so that when the fan stops the relay would activate and could be connected to a dimmer switch varying the current and speed of the fan for idling??

Ask a Question