Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with a delay relay

Simon Jeggo

May 16, 2015
Hi every one, I'm hoping someone can confirm a basic timed relay install for me.

So I've recently taken up a position as the engineer and maintenance tech of a brewery here in Ireland, my skills are mostly mechanical and would defiantly say electrical design work would be my Achilles heal.

I've been asked to look at a kegging machine in the brewery, this has a 5/2 solenoid valve set to drive the pneumatic pars of the machine. When the kegging operation is finished the valve close but it takes about 5 seconds for the pneumatic ram to return to it ready position. it uses the exhaust port to do this. The problem is for the valve to work it needs to have a exhaust when not in operation to return to ready position. Closing off this exhaust courses the main ram to drop. We waste alot of air during a working day because of this constant exhaust after the machine is reset. This is what I need help with.

What I want to do is used the signal from the 5/2 solenoid to operate a time delay relay that it self opens a solenoid valve to let the pneumatic pressure to it. Then after the 5/2 signal moves to the off position I want to have a 5 second delay that closes the pneumatic pressure shut off solenoid valve.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but from what i understand a timed relay requires a permanent live and earth to it the operate the relay and timer then the out power to operate something (Solenoid in my case) and the an on off signal input(Use the connections to the 5/2 solenoid valve set?)

The problem is I'm not sure of what parts I'm looking at will suit or if what I'm thinking about will even work. its all running on 24v and was looking for the cleanest option as i haven't much room to install loads stuff. I was hoping something like this might work as a complete unit - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MULTIFUNC...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2c6f649f4a

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Simon

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
What you propose is an option, but it is not ideal to use timers for pneumatic cylinders.

A spring centered valve will stop the ram from drifting.

I would be looking at the kegger logic controller (PLC) program to see if modifications can be made to solve your problem.
You might have to add input switches so your controller knows cylinder position.

Simon Jeggo

May 16, 2015
Thanks for the reply.

Its nothing that can be solved with the PLC as far as I can see because if the machine is off and you don't cut the air supply it will still exhaust. My only option is to put something in the air line to cut the supply of air after kegging has finished operating.

was thinking of using 2/2 pneumatic solenoid the the shut off delayed by the relay.

Simon Jeggo

May 16, 2015
What I was planing to do was to mount it in a plastic box and mount it on the back of the machine so the operators cant go changing the settings
like this:

87366abe54.jpg

The front panel is quite small as it is. this is the type of machine we have:
filler.jpg

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Sound ok to me. But, You might run into a problem when reenergizing your valve if the ret port air pressure bleeds off.
Eg. Jerky motion when valve cycles again.

Try to simulate the delay scenario before you get too involved, or better yet, talk to a pipe fitter.

Simon Jeggo

May 16, 2015
Grand job, as long as I know I'm on the right path with it. thanks for your help.

I must get stuck into more reading on the subject, will only be doing more and more.