Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help wiring blower to signal generator!

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
Hello,
I know very little about electronics and thus need help with a problem I have.
I am trying to hook up this blower to this signal generator (see images).
I know that the signal generator needs its own power supply, but I'm not sure what is appropriate and how to hook it up.
Likewise, I don't understand wiring enough to know which wire should go where. Here is a link to the diagram for the blower.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric
1.JPG
2.JPG 3.JPG

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Connect it to the signal generator to do what?

It won't power it.

I can't think of anything that could be applicable to the motor/signal generator. What's going on?

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
I'm using the blower to run an iron smelt and I want to be able to "dim" down the blower. Other people have done this exact thing with these parts. I think the blower has the capabilities of "electronic isolated speed control".

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Looks like a hopeless miss-match.
For one the motor requires 120vac at 4.5a, most likely a shaded pole motor, it is going to need a Triac controller to control RPM, the output of the S.G. does not even come close at 10v.
Looks like another piece of equipement is used in the photo?.
M.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I see from the Ametek site they are big into brushless fans, ECM motor, One of which is similar in looks to the one here, I suspect this is one and looks like someone has rigged one up with a external control source.
You would need to get the exact specs on that fan.
M.

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
This link has both the diagram and if you scroll down has info on the blower. It is indeed a brushless motor.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Got it.

The plug on the motor doesn't match the wiring diagram though - not enough pins!

But it appears that you connect AC mains (120V) to the white/black wires and the output of the signal generator to the red/blue wires.

The red/blue accept either a PWM or a varying DC voltage to control speed.

I can't confirm the above as, like I said, the plug doesn't match the diagram. If they stated the wiring colours it would make life easier!

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
yes, the lack of color is annoying. I'm also guessing the black/white are the AC input and Blue/Red are the variable connectors. Assuming this is correct, would I connect the "high" wire (blue?) to the "24v" connection on the generator? and the "low" (red?) to one of the "OV" connections"?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
No - you need a 0-10V (or a PWM signal) on the red/blue wires - with red being the 'high' side I presume (don't take my word for it though!).

Your signal generator says that it has a 0-10V range and I presume the connections for it are along the top connector (can't see all the details from your picture though). This signal would do it.

You won't come to any harm by having the wrong control signal applied though - all you'll get is either zero motor speed or full speed (and no control in between) if the signal was incorrect. Feel free to play with it on that basis.

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
hmmm.. I did find out from the company that blue=low speed command, red=high speed command, white=neutral, black=hot.
Well, I already have the signal generator, so I'm gonna give it a shot.
In terms of giving it power. Say I have something like this. Can I just cut the jack on the end and attach wires to the generator connections? Or do I need some sort of adapter to go from the jack into my device?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
In terms of giving it power.
The signal generator.....

yes, such a PSU would work - you may well have an old laptop adapter lying around that you could use. Many laptop adapters have around 19V output which is within the recommended range for that S.G

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
I just tried it with a 20v dc output adapter. Stripped the wires and it worked! hey, pretty cool. Now I just to get power to the blower. Thanks for tall the help so far!

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir edennis . . . . .

What I seem to be seeing here is that he initially has the AC power properly wired in, with the WHITE (cold) wire connected to the right terminal of the motor and the BLACK (HOT) wire connected to the left motor terminal. All is then being covered up by white pookie..

A laptop power supply (typical median output voltage of 19VDC) is connected into the power input of the Sig Generator.
If a FWB is incorporated inside, that would also accept AC input voltage . . . . with DC applied voltage, just being a pass thru function.

All slide switches seem to be in the voltage mode instead of the 20 ma current loop mode.

That SIg Gens right frontal corner power switch really has me stymied ?

You show a SG-02 . . .he shows a SG-01 . . . can't find anything on these units for specs and generator ranges and signal type ?

His drive wiring from the Sig Gen to the motor correctly has a BLACK wire as LOW and a RED wire as HI, but over at the motor under the pookie suggests . . . . .SEE BOTTOM LEFT CORNER REFERENCE . . that SIg Gen LOW terminal wire then gets connected to a far left HI connection terminal at the motor. With that then leaving a HI wire going to the LOW terminal to its right.
The third terminal is being unused.

Soooooooooo if this is working for him, it seems that the motor is choosing either a positive or negative going node from the Sig Gen, all in accordance as to which polarity that it NEEDS to operate from . . . IF . . .the Sig Gen is putting out a symmetrical sine or square wave..

Can you fill us in with more SIG GEN 01 . . .02 . . . info as per output sig type(s) and freq range ?

So it looks like if you have that type of electronically controlled motor with its internal POWER control aspects and hooked up this way, that it might work for you . . . . not sure of maximum speed however, with further needed info.

EVERYTHING BEING PLACED ALL TOGETHER . . . .

MOTOR_SPEED_CONTROLLER.jpg

73's de Edd

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
Thanks for the lengthy reply and image edits. I actually hadn't noticed that he was using an SG-01 and I was using an SG-02... Interesting. Here is the link where I purchased it.

Here is the link where companies website

I really don't know a lot the technical aspect of this stuff, but I'm pretty sure the sig-generator is putting out DC which is what the electronics of the blower accepts. i wish I could help more, but I'm learning this stuff as I do it...

Last edited:

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
So i just tried to hook it all up, but I'm having trouble. I'm wondering if my blower's electronics are shot. The only way I can get the blower to run at all is in the configuration shown in the photo, however it only runs full blast and changing the dial on the sig-gen does nothing until I turn it down pretty low and then the blower just cuts out and will not turn on again until I unplug the power cord and plug it back in. With the blue wire on "OV" andthered on "0-10v" the motor just starts to run and then cuts out.
Thoughts?
IMG_0141.JPG

Last edited:

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Did you actually measure the DC input when using the 0-10vdc?, as according to the spec sheet that should work.
M.

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I've tried testing the output from the sig-gen and it looks good (see photo)- just little reaction from the blower.
IMG_0143.JPG

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
The way i read it, if using the M (Mechanical) mode, a linear potentiometer can be wired across the three inputs.
If using E (Electrical) it mentions PWM. 2 wire input.
The description sheet is a little vague!
M.