Connect with us

help, voltage problms abroad

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by [email protected], Mar 8, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    i forgot to switch to 230v when plugging in my american desktop in
    france, there was a pop, and now it wont start. did i completely break
    it or is there a circuit breaker or something i can fix
  2. hr(bob)

    hr(bob) Guest

    Is the power supply in the desktop, or does it use a wallwart
    (probably not)?

    H. R. Hofmann
  3. Guest

    its in the desktop, do i need a new one or can they be fixed?
  4. 99% of the time, it's cheaper and easier to replace the power supply.

    Some computers use special power supplies and you can only get them
    from the manufacturer. These are more expensive and harder to get.

    I've fixed a few of them by opening them up, looking for blown fuses,
    and capacitors that have "exploded". If coils have melted, or
    transistors have burnt out, it's probably not worth it. Also check
    for diodes and resistors that are burnt or shorted.

    One had an MOV (metal oxide varistor) used as a surce protector which
    exploded and burnt out a fuse. I removed the MOV and replaced the fuse.

    I had really good luck with a Sony (original) Playstation. It just
    needed a new fuse.

  5. James Sweet

    James Sweet Guest

    Just replace the power supply, it's not really worth trying to fix it.
  6. hr(bob)

    hr(bob) Guest

    The power supply should have a sticker somewhere with the
    manufacturers information, also what outputs (typically 5 and 12 V),
    and what current (amperes) it is capable of supplying. Anything that
    has the same connectors and voltages and currents should be ok,
    mounting screws and connectors will be the biggest problem.

    H, R, Hofmann
  7. All the desktop PSUs I've seen have an internal fuse inside. I think it
    would be necessary for UL listing. Sometimes though it's a "wire-ended"
    type and can only be replaced with the use of a soldering iron.
    I do remember once replacing a "wire-ended" one with a standard plug-in
    one by fitting a fuse-holder, the PCB was layed out for both. You could
    well find wording like "for continued protection against fire replace
    only with the specified fuse" and also the fuse rating silk screened
    onto the PCB.
    Standard ATX PSU's are cheap and readily available and there must be
    millions of serviceable ones thrown away in PCs deemed "out of date"
    because their beige colour didn't match the décor.
    An empty case with a PSU in it costs little more than a PSU alone, and
    you could have one in a pretty colour too.
    You could probably get a PSU with a universal input voltage range
    (100Vac to 240Vac) (or even AC/DC) these days and not have to worry
    about making the same mistake again!
  8. its in the desktop, do i need a new one or can they be fixed?

    Go to a few computer stores and ask if they carry your brand of computer.
    Tell them you need a new power supply (with France's input voltage
    settings!). If it is for the same make/model, it should have all the same
    connectors and be a fairly straightforward install. If all you can find is a
    "generic" power supply (you must match the watts rating on your old power
    supply to the new one -- sometimes it is stated like "200W"), it should be a
    no more than a bit of a small puzzle to make it work for someone with basic
    computer/electronic skills (I'm sure you know *someone*).

    Good luck,
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
There are no similar threads yet.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day