Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help Testing if LED TV Power Board is Functional

aminemarref

Apr 6, 2020
Hello,

My Android LED TV seems to have died last night. I wanted to do some troubleshooting myself to see if I can pinpoint the problem before calling a professional.

So, my first step was to try to see if the power board works fine; and after sifting through few online video tutorials, I did the following. I powered-on the TV, and started testing - using a handheld multimeter - the output pins of the power board (those that feed the cable that goes to the motherboard) to see if they give the expected voltages. Since this part is the so-called "cold" area of the board, I put the black probe in one of the screw holes in the chassis, and used the red probe on the pins.

A snapshot of the pinout of the board is shown in page 3 of the attached document. There are 14 pins in total, and the pinout does not seem to show every pin individually, I guess some pins are grouped together in the pinout.

Only pin 4 in the top row (counting from bottom of picture) reads 4.9V. The rest are zeros.

My question is: am I testing this correctly? Do I need to short a couple of pins or something? The reason I am asking this is that I found in certain tutorial videos that some power-board models require shorting of pins.

Please let me know if my testing is correct.

The attached document contains the model number of the board, a picture of the board, a snapshot of the pinout from the board, and a circuit diagram that I salvaged from the web.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Forum-Attachment-Smaller.pdf
    410.8 KB · Views: 4

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Only pin 4 in the top row (counting from bottom of picture) reads 4.9V. The rest are zeros.

Cannot follow your description here but normally a 5v supply is a "startup" voltage and the unit is waiting for some input from the operator to start the main power supply section. It may be you have unplugged part of this requirement for successful testing.