Connect with us

Help splitting a speaker circuit

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by seanndiane, Sep 9, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. seanndiane


    Sep 9, 2013
    I have 2 pairs of ceiling mounted speakers hooked to a stereo. Stereo has "A, A+B ,B ,or C" speakers setting. So now I have Left pair and right pair.(lets call the speakers Pair A and Pair B).

    I would like to make the "C" setting work one speaker from A and one speaker from B without back-feeding power through the wires to the stereo. (so i would have Front pair and Rear pair option also)

    In other words C would power speaker A1 and B1
    A+B would would power A and B speakers.

    I assume I would use some kind of diode....but how should I wire it and what type diode would I use? (our local radio shack hires anyone with a pulse so I don't even want to ask them and get " Why don't you just add another set of speakers?')

    Thanks in advance.
  2. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    Jan 21, 2010
    I doubt it will be possible unless you do the switching externally.

    Diodes won't help you.

    The easiest option is to add another pair of speakers.

    The next easiest way is to do the switching external to the amplifier (getting an appropriate switch may not be trivial -- it would be a 6 pole 4 position switch, assuming that A+B places speakers A and B in parallel.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day