Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help sourcing mini USB socket

yak

Jul 19, 2012
Hi all,

I'm trying to repair a USB connector that's soldered onto a board on my Countor HD camera.
It looks identical to this one except it's male with 5 pins. I'm having no luck searching for a male version. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd much appreciate it.

Thx, Jack

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply. It has the two pins underneath that seat in the board, the 4 corners soldered. It's exactly as the picture in the link shows, excepts it's a male.

It can't be the same if it's a male plug, it can't have pins underneath nor can it have pins on the corners as those pins would prevent it form sliding into the female socket... If it's a male plug the pins and any mounting will be on the tail end, leaving the entire male body part able to slide into the female socket just like the ones in the auction I linked on Ebay...

You have either misidentified it as a male mini USB or your are not describing it properly... Also as I have stated mounting layout varies by manufactures, not having that information hinders identification... An actual picture would certainly help, in both regards...

yak

Jul 19, 2012
It can't be the same if it's a male plug, it can't have pins underneath nor can it have pins on the corners as those pins would prevent it form sliding into the female socket... If it's a male plug the pins and any mounting will be on the tail end, leaving the entire male body part able to slide into the female socket just like the ones in the auction I linked on Ebay...

You have either misidentified it as a male mini USB or your are not describing it properly... Also as I have stated mounting layout varies by manufactures, not having that information hinders identification... An actual picture would certainly help, in both regards...

Sorry I only have iPhone photos:

Here's a picture showing the 4 corners of the housing soldered to the circuit board.

photo2.jpg

here's the bottom showing the two black plastic pins seated in the holes in the circuit board.

photo4.jpg

Here's a picture showing 4 of the 5 pins

photo3.jpg

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Um, that is not a male plug, it's a female socket just like you linked to your first post...

yak

Jul 19, 2012
I just checked the broken socket. What had me confused is the socket I have has 5 pins sticking out (hence my referring to it as male) while the picture seems to have a plastic housing to hold the pins in place, which to me made it look like 5 holes.

Thanks.