Connect with us

Help soldering with the Heat air gun

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Twodio, Jul 25, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Twodio

Twodio

May 17, 2013
    Hi guys.
    Today i've bought an heat air gun to try fix up my toshiba L300, that had and still have NEC Tokin problem.
    How this air gun is a new thing for me i decided to try first in some old board that worked fine, then i decided to try in my Toshiba.
    First i've opened the computer until the motherboard, next i've taked out the processor and etc.

Then i started soldering, but neither the solder, neither the Tantalum Capacitor stuck, until now i'm here without what know to do, but the worse part is that i need this PC for now.

Somebody that know how to do this.

2. eKretz

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
    Is the solder melting? Are you using flux? Are you using leaded or lead-free solder? Sometimes it is easier to remove parts with hot air and solder new ones back on with an iron.

3. Twodio

Twodio

May 17, 2013
    I don't know if is leaded or lead-free, that was come in a glass recipient without description.
    I lost, this computer was all that i had, and i cant buy another one yet.

4. eKretz

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
    Do you have a soldering iron?

5. Twodio

Twodio

May 17, 2013
    Yes i have, but i already tried too.

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Show us a picture of your solder, a picture of your soldering iron, and a picture of the results you're getting on the board.

We can try to figure out what's going wrong.

7. Twodio

Twodio

May 17, 2013
    I'm falling slowly :/
    Now i tried with a pcb that i've bought 2x4cm, i soldered the 6x220uF capacitor onto it and wired 4 tiny cables such there that come in calculators or joys.
    Next i soldered it in 4 Nec Tokin place, where have 4 metal strips and voila was looking the perfect adaptation, and when i try turn on the computer happened that:

- The screen dont lighted up
    - The process light dont ligth too.
    - The only sound that i listen is from cooler.
    - The power light indicator and battery charger lighted on.
    - The CD Drive light was lighted on too.

I think call a true techinic to try fix it, but i dont found anyone.

Before i try put Tantalum Cap. the computer was working fine (the screen work and show me logo screen and dont boot but yet turn on unless) then i removed the NEC TOKIN as it haven't diference cause dont boot at same way.
    One day i tried turn on just to see and the screen already not turn on or light up.

I think that with TANTALUM CAP. placed it should back normal.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
Ask a Question