Maker Pro
Maker Pro

HELP! Salvaged Printer LCD Screen, Need Pinout

adrianh1984

Feb 6, 2011
I salvaged this LCD screen from my Lexmark P915 Inkjet Printer. It is a very crisp clear screen, but I would like to have some pinouts so that I can use it as a screen for a handheld game system project I am doing. Can someone help me out? I would really appreciate it, God Bless

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Look on the display got a part number. It is most likely not something on the bar-coded sticker.

That display also has a CCFL backlight which requires a high voltage current source.

I presume it's a bitmapped display (i.e. it doesn't just display n rows of m characters). Is is colour?

adrianh1984

Feb 6, 2011
Look on the display got a part number. It is most likely not something on the bar-coded sticker.

That display also has a CCFL backlight which requires a high voltage current source.

I presume it's a bitmapped display (i.e. it doesn't just display n rows of m characters). Is is colour?

Yes it is color, and it has a beautiful crisp display. I did not see a part number but the the letters "au" are embossed into it in the corner. The barcode number is as follows, 33S472B706-BE-0016183

I appreciate your help and such quick reply considering that I just posted this thread earlier today. God Bless

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The photo of the main board reveals a UPS051 chip. This appears to be the driver for the LCD display, and chances are that this board does little more than provide a backlight voltage and house the driver.

If you can figure out the interface used by this board you may be in luck. For that you will need the documentation on the controller which is possibly this. The document refers to AUO TFT panels, and that ties in with the AU visible on the display.

Someone else looks to have been playing with a similar interface here.

You may be able to get a little more help here.

adrianh1984

Feb 6, 2011
The photo of the main board reveals a UPS051 chip. This appears to be the driver for the LCD display, and chances are that this board does little more than provide a backlight voltage and house the driver.

If you can figure out the interface used by this board you may be in luck. For that you will need the documentation on the controller which is possibly this. The document refers to AUO TFT panels, and that ties in with the AU visible on the display.

Someone else looks to have been playing with a similar interface here.

You may be able to get a little more help here.

I really appreciate it, the thing is I do not know a whole lot of specs I just want to be able to use this to display output from, say an Atari Flashback. Via the yellow and white connections on the back. Obviously not the white because that is audio. I'm only 17 and this is the type of stuff I plan to go to college for but I'm not there yet so help a simple guy like me out. I'd really appreciate it, God Bless

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The simple answer is "No"

The more complex answer is that you *can* read specifications, it just might be a lot of hard work and you may have to teach yourself stuff. In this case you might have to teach yourself an awful lot of stuff and get some hardware to decode the video to allow it to be displayed.

The person who got a similar unit playing video may have posted some useful info.

adrianh1984

Feb 6, 2011
The simple answer is "No"

The more complex answer is that you *can* read specifications, it just might be a lot of hard work and you may have to teach yourself stuff. In this case you might have to teach yourself an awful lot of stuff and get some hardware to decode the video to allow it to be displayed.

The person who got a similar unit playing video may have posted some useful info.

Thank you for giving it to me straight. When you were saying to teach myself, do you recommend any specific website or book that may help educate me on the subject? I hope that I am not asking too much, I just really appreciate your willingness to help me out. I'm sure you've noticed that I've been saying God Bless, I really mean it and I hope God does bless you for you kindness, if your not religious I am sorry to offend you but God loves you either way. Thanks alot and I appreciate it.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well, I recommend you start reading the specifications on the controller from the beginning and ask us questions as soon as there is anything you don't understand.

If it's not trivially explained we may be able to point you somewhere.

What is your level of electronics experience? If you end up having to start from Ohms law we may be assisting you for a while :)

Presuming you have some level of experience, getting hold of "The Art of Electronics" is a good start.

This sort of thing is not the ideal first project. You'll have to do some design work (most likely).

adrianh1984

Feb 6, 2011
Well, I recommend you start reading the specifications on the controller from the beginning and ask us questions as soon as there is anything you don't understand.

If it's not trivially explained we may be able to point you somewhere.

What is your level of electronics experience? If you end up having to start from Ohms law we may be assisting you for a while :)

Presuming you have some level of experience, getting hold of "The Art of Electronics" is a good start.

This sort of thing is not the ideal first project. You'll have to do some design work (most likely).

I have done some stuff like parallel and series circuits, and I know how to solder, and that Voltage is equal to Watts divided by Amps. Probably like you said you will be helping me for a while. Thanks, God Bless