Connect with us

Help Rgb Leds Keep Blowing The Control Box

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by spahr50cal, Jun 12, 2017.

1. spahr50cal

spahr50cal

May 26, 2017
    im currently on my second rgb led strip control box. im using RGB 5050 strips about 14' total but not continues(soldered together separably). thsi is the second box that blew and wont work right and this time i know everything was wired right. i cant seem to figure out whats going wrong. do these need fused? im using a 300w psu(converted for power 12v14a) but its running a stereo as well. can anyone recommend something or a control box that will last preferably under $10-15. its starting to be the worst idea ever for my pc lighting.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You may be overloading the controller.

Even if it seems to allow (say) a 15A load, it may not be constructed well enough to allow that continuously.

3. spahr50cal

spahr50cal

May 26, 2017
    the original power supply that came with it was 12vdc 5a but i never used it, would you recommend fusing the 14a line i have running to it? also i did get hot last time it blew even being in a fan cooled case, these are on about 16-18hrs a day so im wondering it the aluminum control box i saw might work better https://www.amazon.com/12V-24V-44Ke...qid=1497264489&sr=8-4&keywords=rgb+controller

4. Irv

Irv

Jun 7, 2017
    So you're using 3 RGB strips, correct? With one controller which was made to control 1 RGB strip?
    If so, there's your problem. One strip is made to run from USB power (not more than 500ma.)
    Three would take 1.5 amps. The controller that came with the strip would not logically be built to handle that much current (costs more, why do it?) The 20 amp controller from Amazon should handle the load easily.

5. spahr50cal

spahr50cal

May 26, 2017
    i have 3 conections fro the strips the strips i have were 16m then cut into segments so i could mount them on my pc and monitor so about 14' total, the transformer it came with was not usb it was 120vac- 12vdc 5a but yeah the other box is probly gonna work better.

Ask a Question