Connect with us

HELP!!! RF Module

Discussion in 'Radio and Wireless' started by samwade123, Sep 24, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. samwade123

samwade123

Sep 24, 2014
    Hi there

I am new to the forum so if this is in the wrong place sorry.

I am trying to build a circuit that will measure tyre temperatures on a kart at three points on each tyre. I am trying to make the display of seven segment displays -24 in total- be wireless so can be seen by the mechanic. I was hoping to use the nRF24L01+ rf module for the data transmission but I am unsure of how to compress all of the data into one signal wire and then "un compress" it so the data can be displayed. I am using Genie chips for the majority of the circuit as it is what i have access to in the school.

thanks in advance

sam

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Hello Sam
    I am sure if it's in the wrong place one of our great moderators will move it for you. I don't quite understand what you mean by one signal wire. This unit uses a standard called SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface) and this one uses three digital lines to do this. You can also get SPI LCDs which once you have some code running you may find it easier to use this instead of 4bit or 8bit mode of some of the more common LCDs.
    Adam

3. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    You will need to couple this with a microcontroller. The microcontroller can measure each of the probes, and send the data in a serial string to the rf module you have.
    "pr1=71, pr2=70, pr3=68"

The receiving microcontroller will get this string and pick it apart and show the 3 separate temperatures. I don't know enough about it to provide example code yet though, but you will need processing of some sort.

4. samwade123

samwade123

Sep 24, 2014
    thanks for the replies. At the moment I am going to use a series of shift registers to compress the data into the required "one wire signal". One problem I am having is working out how to connect the RF module to my data to be able to transmit it. http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Nrf24L01-2.4GHz-HowTo sorry if I am asking stupid questions get confused easily. Any help on how I would connect the RF module to the genie chip would be greatly appreciated

5. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Here is the fun part. If you are compressing your own data with shift registers, you will need to think up a way to recognise when a new set of data is being sent... so you will need to hard-code in some kind of marker like a header, stop-bits... anything or all you will get on the receiving end is a string of 1s and 0s with no apparent meaning.

That is why I recommended a microcontroller. It can handle multiple sensors, deal with the data and send it along a serial line (1-wire) in an easy to identify way.

Ask a Question