Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help required with identifying a component

600rob

May 14, 2018
Hi folks,

The digital display on my motorcycle recently failed. ( the display powers up and the back light comes on but none of the readings display)
After researching on a bike related forum the issue is due to corrosion on the circuit board which can be resolved by a clean up in lucky cases or a replacement of damaged components in bad cases

In my case the clean up did not work. I believe i have located the parts in question but not being an electronics expert i'm having trouble identifying them and working out what suitable replacements I need to buy.

From what I understand the parts are surface mount diodes.
I have inspected the parts with a magnifying glass and can see the following item number :

S
1G

I've searched online and can find anything that matches this part number. Unfortunately i'm not able to find out the manufacturer.

The guys on the bike forum have said that its a general purpose diode with around a 1 amp capability which does not need to be fast switching or high voltage. I've attached a pic below showing one of the components. ( the other one has already been removed)

Is anyone able to help me identify the part and advise me on some replacement or alternate parts that i can get hold of in the UK which I can use to try and repair the board?

upload_2018-5-14_15-41-22.png

Many thanks
Rob

Robert_fay

Jun 15, 2017
Without a better pic of the component i can not verify 100%, however the S1G would be a callout for a 1A 400V Diode across many suppliers including Vishay and On Semi. 72 is likely a date code. Here is a cutout from a Vishay series and their symbol S1G. No their marking would be SG so it is likely not a Vishay part, however that would be the direction I would be looking.

upload_2018-5-14_10-18-5.png

Same from Diodes inc.
https://www.diodes.com/assets/Datasheets/ds16003.pdf

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Have you tested the diodes?
It looks as if you have plenty of room to fit diodes with leads,. 1N4004 to 1N4007.As cheap as chips:)

600rob

May 14, 2018
I tested the diode arrowed in the pic and it checked out okay.

i was not able to get the probes on the other one as the legs were completely corroded away.

600rob

May 14, 2018