Connect with us

Help replacing surface mount capacitors

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by Tom, Jan 19, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    How do you read surface mount electrolytic capacitors, they have these
    numbers on the top:

    7C7 (big ones)

    7Q7 (medium)

    7K1 (tiny)

    Does anyone know what these mean?

    Also I am having trouble unsoldering them, they seem almost 'welded' to
    the circuit board.

    Can I pull/cut them off somehow and solder new ones in their place? Is
    there any way to test them while they are still on the circuit board? I
    have a meter but it is designed for the capacitors (with long legs) to
    be pushed into it, If I made some leads would it be possible to measure
    them on the board with this?

    Thanks, Tom
  2. Guest

    You could make leads and test them. I've personally never encountered
    a bad surface mount cap. The cap could be glued down ( a hint for
    reinstalling them, btw)

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day