Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help replacing a switch

vandel212

Apr 15, 2016
Hi, I'm definitely a beginner to working on electronics like this, but I'm hoping this is a very simple task I'm trying to accomplish.

What I'd like to do is replace the existing power button in the Intel Compute Stick (http://www.cnet.com/products/intel-compute-stick/) with a rocker switch so that I can keep the computer in an enclosure, but still turn it on without having to open up the enclosure every time. I attached a picture of the circiut board and highlighted the power button. Here is the switch I was hoping I could use (http://www.amazon.com/250V-SPST-Sna..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1QE8R4KMRWN141T7CV3V).

I'm sorry I do not have more information about the power button. Information on it is very limited since what I'm trying to do is very uncommon.

I guess my question is, can I replace this button switch with any ole rocker switch, or is that not how things work?

Compute%20stick.jpg

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to EP.

In principle what you try to accomplish is comparatively easy. You solder the new switch in parallel to the old pushbutton. The old pushbutton very probably has only two solder connections to the board. solder a wire of sufficient length to each solder joint there. connect the other ends of the wires to teh new switch.

But one question first: You name the component on the board a pushbutton. This kind of "switch" has momentary action, meaning it closes (connects) when pushed and opens (disconnects) when released. A rocker switch as the one you link to, on the other hand, has permanent action. It is either open or closed.
Not every circuit will work with a switch in place of a pushbutton. You can test this for yourself: Will the compute stick operate as intended when you keep pressing the pushbutton?
Yes -> go ahead, use the rocker switch.
No -> use a remote pushbutton instead (my recommendation anyway)

Why do I recommend the remote pushbutton? I assume that the original pushbutton works as follows:
push once -> turn the stick on
push again -> turn the stick off
This will be awkward to realize with a switch:
to turn the stick on -> switch on
to turn the stick off -> turn the switch off, then on again, then finally off

Regards,
Harald

vandel212

Apr 15, 2016
Hi Harald,
Thank you for the quick an detailed response. Actually I does not matter to me what kind of switch is used, as long as it works. Really the more I think about it a push "momentary" switch might serve my purpose better. So I'll take the safe road here and use one of them.

Thanks again!