Connect with us

Help repair power plug port

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by dmccoyks, Sep 28, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. dmccoyks

dmccoyks

Sep 26, 2017
    You guys were so helpful with my last project and it is very much appreciated. I hope you can offer some help with this one as well.

I am trying to fix the power port on this laptop that has a messed up solder job as you can clearly see, missing pads, etc. I am trying to figure out the easiest way to possibly fix this problem. I was thinking of the following two options show in the marked up picture:

1. Red line - Connect a number wire between terminals
    2. Green - Scratch off areas next to missing solder pads and create solder joints with small jumper to legs.

Will either of these options work? Would I also need to make sure I have a connection between the top and bottom of the board at each of these legs?

Attached Files:

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Difficult to say. Many boards like those are multi-layered and the thru-hole plating takes the voltages to those layers within the hole itself. Poor de-soldering can often strip the 'tube' of plating that interconnects the layers and therefore you can't easily establish whether the track routing is complete by simply shorting out the 'visible' missing pads.

There's nothing lost by trying though - if the shorted pads don't change anything then you have to assume that the thru-hole damage is greater.

Without a board layout diagram showing the interconnects you'll have a hard time ascertaining where to make the necessary visible-layer links to get it all powered up again.

3. dmccoyks

dmccoyks

Sep 26, 2017
    Here is a picture of it on a good board.
    Thank you for your help.

From testing with a multimeter on a good board I get the following (see modified picture)

Pin 1 - Power Input continuity - continuity between pin in power jack
    Pins - 3 & 6 - continuity between them on both top and bottom and each side of board but don't connect to ground. What would these be used for?
    Pins - 2,4,5,7 - Ground

Attached Files:

4. dmccoyks

dmccoyks

Sep 26, 2017

Attached Files:

5. dmccoyks

dmccoyks

Sep 26, 2017
    I removed the plug, cleaned it all up then resoldered it with the jumper wire and I am back in business.

Ask a Question