Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help recovering fdd with bad sectors LINUX or Windows

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Good day everyone.
I found a box with old floppy disks dating back to 90's and wanted to copy them to my pc.
I have a set of windows 3.1 setup disks and one of them has bad sectors (disk 2). I switched to linux debian jessie because windows10 and scandisk does not work with this fdd.
So i discovered the badblocks command that will display the sectors that are bad.
So now how can i recover the data ? So far i failed to find a way to do so.
Ahhh dos 6 had this awesome scandisk command that would not only find bad sectors but also would relocate the data and mark the sector !

Thank you in advance.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Is this for recovery software or to find windows 3.1 ? either way it seems to hang every time i search for something.

Kabelsalat

Jul 5, 2011
Hi.

You've probably already found a solution, but I just want to add something hopefully usable.

In Linux, there is the DD command. This can be used to make disk copy of whole drives or partitions. However, the man page doesn't seem to cover about faulty sectors. It may be able to override, but at the end, lost data are lost data. You may have luck using another fdd drive if you have any laying around.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Constantine, Totally agree about trying other floppy drives.
I still have the Casio first digital camera. QV series.
Irfanview software saved many of my FDD photos.
Try different drives first, including USB to FDDs. Worked for me.

Martin

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
To be honest i have abandoned the attempt due to lack of time. i just saved all i could and thats about it. besides the link that bertus gave us has all i wanted.