Connect with us

HELP!!!!!! Question About Powering LEDs

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Alex Hughes, Jan 24, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Alex Hughes

Alex Hughes

Jan 24, 2018
    So I'm trying to power 70ft of 5050 SMD LEDs. I wanted to make them sync with the beat of the music however, so I bought a separate controller that allows me to do this. I disconnected the wires that went into the original controller and attached them to the new controller which synced to the music. The LED strip barely lit up and I assumed this was because I wasn't able to generate enough power with my 24v power supply. I wanted to test how much voltage the original controller that came with the LEDs outputted to get an idea of the power supply I need to buy. However, when I measured it with my multi-meter I got very confusing results. I got 120v AC when measuring the input, (which makes sense because it's coming directly from the wall outlet) and 0v when I switched it to DC (again this makes perfect sense). When i measured the output voltage of the controller however, I measured 140v DC and 50v when I switched it to AC. How can I possibly get a reading of both AC and DC current? I need to know which reading is the correct one. If anybody can help me it would be VERY much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    You forgot to post a link to the LED strips you have. Ones shown in Google are powered from 12VDC and use 3.7W per foot. Yours might use 3.7W x 70 feet= 259W so they must be wired in separate groups of maybe 30W per group so that the wires do not burn up.
    259W/12V= 21.6A that your power supply probably could not produce.

Ask a Question