Maker Pro
Maker Pro

HELP!!! Problem with Bill Bowden Game Show circuit

I really need your help. I embarked on assembling one of the circuits posted on the page, specifically the Game Show Who’s First Circuit. I purchased the parts and put it together to what I understand is correct. Here is what I’m seeing.

With a setup of a total of 6 stations, but with only 2 connected for test.

1.The relay clicks to trigger the buzzer.
2.When a button is pushed, it turns on it’s corresponding light.

Problem: When button is pushed a 2nd can also power it’s light. Essentially it isn’t locking out the other stations.

I tried checking if maybe the button pushes were too close together it might light both, but with time in between pushes the test setup lights either way.

Does it need the minimum 3 stations in order to work properly? I suspect that it shouldn’t matter how many stations are wired it should still lock them out. If you could please give me some guidance it would be greatly appreciated. I’m kind of stuck and not sure where to proceed.

Regards

Ariel

I really need your help. I embarked on assembling one of the circuits posted on the page, specifically the Game Show Who’s First Circuit. I purchased the parts and put it together to what I understand is correct. Here is what I’m seeing.

With a setup of a total of 6 stations, but with only 2 connected for test..

Problem: When button is pushed a 2nd can also power it’s light. Essentially it isn’t locking out the other stations.

I tried checking if maybe the button pushes were too close together it might light both, but with time in between pushes the test setup lights either way.

Does it need the minimum 3 stations in order to work properly? I suspect that it shouldn’t matter how many stations are wired it should still lockthem out. If you could please give me some guidance it would be greatly appreciated. I’m kind of stuck and not sure where to proceed.

Regards

Ariel

The circuit should work but the component values are fairly critical. Are you using 25 Watt incandescents for the lamps???

R

rickman

Jan 1, 1970

Correct me if I am wrong, but this circuit could put 120 VAC on the
switch contacts if the SCR fails, no? I'm thinking this would be used
by kids and the switch would be hand held. Both the switch and the wire
to the switch could be dangerous if damaged.

This circuit could be easily adapted by using a lower voltage which
would be much safer.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this circuit could put 120 VAC on the

switch contacts if the SCR fails, no? I'm thinking this would be used

by kids and the switch would be hand held. Both the switch and the wire

to the switch could be dangerous if damaged.

This circuit could be easily adapted by using a lower voltage which

would be much safer.

--

Rick

No more dangerous than any other mains switch http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062543
They don't say but it's 'probably' good for 4000VAC isolation.

J

Jamie

Jan 1, 1970

With a setup of a total of 6 stations, but with only 2 connected for test.

Does it need the minimum 3 stations in order to work properly? I suspect that it shouldn’t matter how many stations are wired it should still lock them out. If you could please give me some guidance it would be greatly appreciated. I’m kind of stuck and not sure where to proceed.

Regards

Ariel

You need to adjust the voltage divider that is feeding the switches,
lower the low side resistor so that it drops the level of voltage to
the gates. It's obvious there isn't enough voltage ending up on the
cathode side to over come the gate voltage to prevent trigger.

Also, use incandescent lamps..

Jamie

With a setup of a total of 6 stations, but with only 2 connected for test..

Does it need the minimum 3 stations in order to work properly? I suspect that it shouldn’t matter how many stations are wired it should still lockthem out. If you could please give me some guidance it would be greatly appreciated. I’m kind of stuck and not sure where to proceed.

Regards

Ariel

So, after carefully reviewing the schematic and my circuit, I found that the resistor that should link the SCRs was not wired correctly. I suppose long nights setting up this system and tending to a 9 month old scrambled my brain. Thanks to all!!!

The problem is not the switch itself, but it will be on the end of a

long cord. If you saw your kids playing with a lamp cord plugged into

the wall, would you tell them to stop? I seriously doubt this would

pass anyone's safety certification.

--

Rick

If that's a concern then convert the circuit over to 12VAC and power it from a plug-in module ( with built-in GFCI).

R

rickman

Jan 1, 1970
If that's a concern then convert the circuit over to 12VAC and power it from a plug-in module ( with built-in GFCI).

Yes, I believe that is what I said. :)