Connect with us

Help powering a small Delta fan with a wall wart

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by mclmatty, Jul 29, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mclmatty

mclmatty

Jul 29, 2013
    Hi there! Electronics Point newbie here :)

I was wondering if I could get some assistance with my project to help cool my PC down.

The idea:
    I recently scavenged a 40mm Delta fan from my old Dell Poweredge server and while sitting eating my steak and ale pie had a eureka moment to solve my hot GPU issue in my PC.

The equipment:
    I got my trusty old wall wart out I have used to power small fans when I was first starting to mess with electronics and stripped the wires to expose fresh copper and hooked it up to the fan.

The issue:
    But then I got scared, I am not sure if the wall wart is going to output too much amps for the small fan. I was able to run fans off the wall wart in the past but this fan is obviously different. Below I have attached some pictures of the fan and the wall wart.

Can anybody tell me if this will work, or am I a dead man when I plug this in?

Thank you! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    A device takes only as much current as it needs. If the voltage is right, and the power supply can delive at least the required current, you are safe. That is why plugging a 25W lamp into a wall socket than can provide 15A (1800W) does not blow out the light bulb.

Bob

3. mclmatty

mclmatty

Jul 29, 2013
    Thank you Bob! I have learned more in 30 seconds than I ever did in my Technological Studies class :D

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    These fans are only a small load as compared to the rest of what the PC power supply is powering.

It is more usual to run these fans from the internal power supply. That way you can't forget to turn them on!

You probably have several spare hard drive power connectors inside. That's where most people grab the required 12V.

5. mclmatty

mclmatty

Jul 29, 2013
    Yes Steve, I do have a spare 4 pin molex. I am thinking of ordering a 4 pin molex to 3 pin fan header cable to run my 80mm case fan and then use the mother board 3 pin header to run the 40mm delta so I can use PWM as the 40mm is extremely loud without PWM to reduce the speed.

The wall wart solution was only temp so I could run tests. As it turns out this has been worth the effort as my GPU goes from 74 degrees C to 41 degrees C in a matter of seconds!

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You'll find that larger fans will produce less noise than smaller ones. And reducing the speed of a fan reduces the noise (most of it is caused by the sound of the airflow itself).

Another option is to have ducts on case fans. If you have a case fan that is extracting air, it can be useful to place a duct so it extracts air from the hottest part (or the part you want to cool the most).

Ask a Question