Connect with us

Help pls !.. special present for a child

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by paragonbuilding, Jul 31, 2011.

1. paragonbuilding

paragonbuilding

Jul 31, 2011
    Hi, I wish to add sound effects to a 12v ride-on battery toy car. I would like to add start-up sound via an ignition switch and progressive and regressive acceleration possibly by a plunger switch under the accelerator pedal. The sound files are not an issue but parts and compatability are. My major problem appears to be with the switch and sound card(s). Can anybody please help to steer me in the right direction ? Many thanks. Tony.

2. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    My major problem appears to be with the switch and sound card
    is this via a small computer or are you using a microcontroller? also how many sounds in total are you after? i may not be able to design it right down for you but for example the ignition and accelerator and brake(screeching tyres always fun) and maybe a horn would be a simple 4 button setup and depending on the car hopefully no modification will be needed. there are little horn kits (my neighbour has one) that come with a myriad of sounds already, and you could simply use the ones you want and disable the buttons for the rest.

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    When my kids were little, I built add-on's like this for their toys. Unfortunately, only I, got satisfaction from my work. Unless you're determined to do your own thing, you
    should look at what's out there commercially, and install it in the vehicle. The stuff
    from the toy-makers is infinitely superior to anything you're going to come-up with
    yourself on the workbench. I used to get some cheap assemblies from discontinued
    production lines from 'All Electronics Corp', in Van Nuys, CA. Flashing light and sound-
    effects boards, misc whoopie stuff that's cheap, and entertaining to kids.
    Just my opinion. Good luck making the kid happy.

4. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
  5. paragonbuilding

paragonbuilding

Jul 31, 2011
    Hi Shrtrnd, Thank you for sensible advice. I would like to do it but and risk pointless expense. I would like to research this further as there is a bit of 'Me' involved ! I'm sure you understand ! but although I would like a new interest, I am not a fool and am not about to spoil an expensive toy for the extra kudos. Thanks for the links and advice I will check them first. Kind regards. Tony.(UK)

6. paragonbuilding

paragonbuilding

Jul 31, 2011
    Hi Shrtrnd, I'm sorry to bother again but I have not given up yet. With your advice in mind, how practical do you think of a servo(s) with an i-pod nano or adapting the i-pod ? If I am considerered a time-wasting idiot please tell me and I will not bother you again but since you have done the same thing that I hope to provide withh the same motivation I hope your valued advice may be forthcoming and I will be happy to provide a bottle of your favourite tipple !! Regards.Tony.

7. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Sorry paragonbuilding, I don't have an i-pod, and am not familiar with what it can do.
    I don't want to discourage your desire to personalize the ride for little one. I just remember
    being discouraged at how little my kids appreciated the work I put into their toy modifications.
    There are so many kid entertainment devices, that have so many interesting functions now,
    that it's difficult to compete (and especially at the low prices I've seen of these devices).
    I made things that had limited sound/lighting effects, that the kids found interesting for
    less than a day. There are just too many new kid devices that outshined my efforts.
    Here's an idea to think about. What does the child REALLY like? Try to tailor the
    vehicle modifications to specifically address their interest.
    Lighted, fold-down mirrors for overhead sun-visor? Revving engine sound maker if they're
    big on that. Fancy flashing led's or light ropes, other lighting or sound-effects.
    Just try to zero-in on what the child especially likes. It'll keep their interest longer, and
    you won't feel like the incompetent fuddy-duddy that I did, when my week-long project
    to modify the kids toys, was outdone by a $3.99 super-toy, from the local toy-store.
    Good luck. Sorry if I discouraged your idea. Go for it, that's what being a dad is for.

Ask a Question