Connect with us

help please!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by cwaist, Nov 26, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. cwaist

cwaist

Nov 26, 2012
    Hi i am looking for a bit of help.
    I am currently building a arduino light controller which is pritty much done now.
    I have got the controller programed with 4 buttons and am currently using through hole buttons.
    I wanted to know how to go about making some matrix keypad style buttons?
    Each button is coded on its own channel so i dont need them in series.
    I am wanting to have the buttons built into a sticker so that they look nicer rather than just off the shelf buttons and dont know what type of component you use under the sticker?
    Any help would be great cheers

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I'm not sure about "making" but they're pretty easy to buy.

"making" is a matter of wiring them up in the appropriate manner, it won't affect what they look like.

Obviously your code to interface to the buttons will be different. (although for 4 buttons, the number of pins used will be the same)

3. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    They are called 'metal domes' they are affixed above the PC board and a film covers them... When they are depressed they short two contacts on the PC board...

Just an example, you can get a premade matrix that can save cost over a custom solution for a small run...

http://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/keypads/0507504/

4. cwaist

cwaist

Nov 26, 2012
    Cheers for the help. My controller is mounted in a 150mm x 100mm box with a 20x4 lcd screen mounted in it so i wanted my buttons spaced out over the face of the controller hencewhy i want to make my own as i dont want all the buttons in a row and i would like one of the buttons larger than the others.
    Cheers again

Ask a Question