Connect with us

Help please - recording/playing device

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by pavla, Jan 3, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. pavla

pavla

Jan 3, 2015
    Hello, I have no idea where to start as I have no knowledge, no experience and absolutely no clue. I just have an idea...So here is my question. What do I need to build a small portable device for my babies where I can record any sound which can be played back to them. Some sort of voice recorder circuit which would have the capacity to play the same sound for at least 20 min?
    The problems I have:
    1. I don't know what parts I need to buy to build such an item
    2. I would like the sound to be quite nice, deep not hollow
    3. Any chance to have two pre-recorded sounds combined and again possibly played for longer period of time?

If is it too crazy and impossible please let me know. Otherwise I'm more than determined to build it.
    Any help will be very appreciated. Thank you very much

2. Anon_LG

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
    Hello and welcome to EP!

Do you have any experience with computers and file organising? Do you have ANY previous experience with microcontrollers, programming or electronics in general?

The method I am currently thinking of suggesting is recording on your computer (if you have one) save the file as a .wav, load it onto a teensy 3.1 then get the teensy to play the file at the click of a switch. You would need:

Computer (with an audio program. Audacity, which is free, probably will work)
    Micro USB male to USB male cable
    Teensy 3.1
    Speaker
    Suitable power supply (3.7 to 5.5 volts)

There will be online tutorials for playing .wav files through the teensy. The audio case design to make the sound "deep not hollow" I can not help you with however.

If you are that determined get familiar with a teensy 3.1 and basic digital and analogue electronics.

If you want to know anything else I am happy give advice. I hope this helps,

3. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Hello Pavla. What you ask is achievable but it depends on how far you want to get stuck in. As you say you have no knowledge in electronics, I have tailored my response to you because of that. So some things that come to mind are a Dictaphone which could be used to drive a small set of powered speakers.

Although it didn't say it had a repeat function so you might have to check that one out. The second option is to use a PCB module and amplifier. The DVR module looks like it can drive a speaker but what the quality will be I don't know.

You could however with the addition of a simple volume control POT be able to connect the module to an amplifier module which should enhance the sound somewhat. These are just options and not the only versions on the market. You will have to choose what best suits your budget and your needs.

Thanks
    Adam

DVR : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Dictaphone-Recorder-Telephone-Recording/dp/B00645GQDA

AMP:http://www.banggood.com/M3AO-TDA729...ronic-xie-uk&gclid=COjLsruA-MICFSfLtAod2GUA7w

DVR modules: https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ISD1820+Sound+/+Voice+Recording+and+Playback+Module&tbm=shop

4. pavla

pavla

Jan 3, 2015
    Thank you very much. I am not familiar with computers at all, but this Teensy board looks promising my only problem will be to figure out how to get decent sound from a small portable device. unless i enable it to be connected to a hi fi through bluetooth or something similar?

5. pavla

pavla

Jan 3, 2015
    Thank you very much Adam, I will look into it. Thanks again.

6. pavla

pavla

Jan 3, 2015
    Thank you very much. I am not familiar with computers at all, but this Teensy board looks promising my only problem will be to figure out how to get decent sound from a small portable device. unless i enable it to be connected to a hi fi through bluetooth or something similar?

7. Anon_LG

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
    Read all of this page: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_AudioPlaySdWav.html

As you can see, you can store A LOT of high quality sound on the SD card, you will need one of these: https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy3_audio.html

I guess you could connect it through bluetooth, you can get small bluetooth devices off Amazon and ebay. Music systems are not really my thing, someone else would have to advise you on getting "good quality" sound out of this device, if you wanted the whole system in one place, Maplin do a wide range of speakers, if you want to connect to a large speaker directly you will need op-amp circuitry to amplify the signal.

I hope this helps you,

8. pavla

pavla

Jan 3, 2015
    Thank you so much, things are starting to be less scary and more achievable. thank you very much

Ask a Question