Connect with us

Help on leds

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Skaterboyincr, Nov 1, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Skaterboyincr

Skaterboyincr

Nov 1, 2012
    Hi i am new into electronics and i am loving it. my project im working on is puting leds in a dragon thing. hard to explain. but on to the question i am wireing 5 leds to one 9 volt battery. what resistors do i use,where i put them at, and i am also puting in a spst button switch. i do not know what kind of leds i need somebody help!!!

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Can't answer your questions until you pick some LEDs and can provide specs for them... As for what kind of LEDs you need, you need ones that suit your application and fit, probably a 10mm, 8mm, 5mm, or 3mm super bright or possibly even a standard brightness? It all depends on what you are doing... There is also high intensity 1W - 3W or more LEDs but they are generally not needed, so we won't go there...

3. Skaterboyincr

Skaterboyincr

Nov 1, 2012
    I havent picked out any leds yet trying to figure out what ones to get i need them really bright

4. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    typically when buying LED's you have to look for a few things, brightness is one
    sie is another
    colour, or bicolour or tricolour
    and do you want flashing?
    if you mix a few LED's together you could simulate flames like they do in the electronic candles.

5. Skaterboyincr

Skaterboyincr

Nov 1, 2012
    yes that is a good idea but i still dont know what kind of LEDS i need what voltage should i get and should i wire them in circut or parell

6. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    The ones that will physically fit your needs... We are not mind readers and there is no way we can know what color you want? How bright you want them? If you want them flashing or steady? Diffused, colored or clear lenses?

You have to get the LEDs that suit your needs then and only then can anyone answer how to hook them up to work...

7. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    and last but not least series or parrallel is another issue again, how many are you driving? if its less than 4 either won't matter. but if its more than 4 than you need strings for best effect.

right now all we got is 5 super bright LED's from a 9volt battery. in that case try the CREE range or LUXEON. you'll need a driver circuit and most likely a heatsink but it will be bright as hell.... depending on the size though they may not fit into something small

8. Skaterboyincr

Skaterboyincr

Nov 1, 2012
    5mm led will fit in the hole i have drilled. what are CREE and LUXEON? also when you say heatsink are you talking about the tubing that goes around the wires

9. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    CREE and LUXEON are high powered LEDs used for lighting.

Bob

10. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    they are brands, and are used for mag lites etc.
    ok we know 5mm what colour? and how many?

11. Skaterboyincr

Skaterboyincr

Nov 1, 2012
    There are 4 and color is red and yellow

12. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    You really need to be less cryptic if you want help, in short spill the beans about anything and everything related to this project...

2 red 2 yellow?
    3 red 1 yellow?
    1 yellow 3 red?

And you plan to run these off?

BTW: don't stop answering questions there, add anymore details you can...

We are not physic we can take guesses but why should we waste our time went it's you that are asking for help? The least you could do is help us by providing the basic perimeters of your project so that we can focus on an answer instead of asking more questions and making guess after guess or having to asked you over and over for basic information...

As it stands this is the 12thp post and all we have determined that you want to light up 4 5mm leds, some red some yellow... That and more should have been revealed in the first post, as well as some more...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  13. Skaterboyincr

Skaterboyincr

Nov 1, 2012
    Well i didnt know it mattered how many of each color . There are 3 red 1 yellow and i would like to run it off a 9v battery but it dont really matter to me i do not know what kind if leds i have they were laying around

14. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    It's like pulling teeth, so now you have the LEDs laying around?

Since I find it unlikely you have any information on those LEDs I will go with standard values for standard red and yellow LEDs... Standard LEDs are far from bright but again you have been less then willing to offer up any information, leaving nothing but guess work...

If you use anything besides 'standard' LEDs you will need to adjust the resistors to the appropriate values... And if the LEDs forward voltage exceeds 3V each you will need to change the way the red ones are hooked up...

Attached Files:

15. Skaterboyincr

Skaterboyincr

Nov 1, 2012
    That helped a lot thank you it wirks now sorry i wasnt detailed about stuff but i didnt know

Ask a Question