Connect with us

Help needed !!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by simonob, Jul 4, 2014.

1. simonob

simonob

Jul 4, 2014
    Hi guys,

In need of a bit of help I'm fairly clueless on electronics. But I'm looking to build a digger with my son but need help on the wiring. I want to run 6 small brushless motors into something ( this is where I need you guys ! ) then into a raspberry Pi then I will control via a SSH client on my smart phone / laptop. That parts easy though ! How do I get the motors to interact with the PI? Now that's the question. Any help appreciated !!

Regards
    Simon

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Welcome, Simon, to our forum.

Here is a tutorial on brushless DC motors on a raspberry pi.

3. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Sounds intriguing.
    Might I toss in a few questions and observations?

Why a Pi? It seems like overkill to me if you only controlling servos?
    (Is this due to the SSH requirement, will you be adding additional sensors or more complex software, or is this just because you have one burning a hole in your pocket?) Don't get me wrong, I like the Pi (I own a couple) but I don't see it shining in that role unless you plan to do kinematics calculations to position the bucket of the digger in a precise location. ...(*I kinda like the kinematics idea actually...)
    Take a quick gander at the XBee, or other related module... XBee for example will provide you with a wireless transmitter and/or receiver. They have multiple io pins (digital and analogue) are small, and could easily allow you to build a custom controller with multiple buttons and joysticks instead of using a touchscreen UI.

If you are working with SSH commands, please be cautious about a dropped connection, and use limit switches or a form of watchdog to ensure your brushless motors turn off when there is not more signal, or if they move too far. An alternative to Brushless motors would be Servos or Stepper motors. You could also use encoders to determine the position of certain parts and use the pi to either make corrections, impose limits, or stop the motors.

Ask a Question