Connect with us

Help needed. Quadra 950 tantalum capacitor identification needed.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Alex Santos, Jan 11, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Alex Santos

Alex Santos

Jul 6, 2017
    Dear members.

My Macintosh Quadra 950 was misbehaving so I took it apart and did a close visual inspection of the logic board and found C26, originally a tantalum, clearly failed. It literally fell apart as I cleaned up the area. The damage was isolated to the capacitor and C26 appears to be the same as C23.

I found a picture of the logic board and am confident that the part I need is also placed on the board in a few other places so I am leaving images for some help. As an FYI, I contacted mouser and they were unable to help me. I would be extremely grateful if someone could help identify this part and my experience finding parts is truly at the neophyte level when finding parts. So I would be deeply grateful if someone could post a link to a part.

Info I can provide to help.
    C26 is the tantalum cap that failed catastrophically.

C23 appears to be physically the same as C26 so I am assuming the equivalent of C23 can be soldered to C26.
    Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 9.37.18 AM copy.jpg

Next to C26 is a voltage regulator (Image of same attached)
    Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 11.49.34 PM.jpg

C23 has a 2 on the left. Centered appears to have a 10 and 16V

IMG_1226.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 2.34.46 PM.jpg

Is C26 a 10uF, 16V cap, this is what someone who knows more than me claims.

If someone could provide a link to a high quality replacement I would be really grateful.
    Should I replace the voltage regulator as well?

Kind regards
    —Alex Santos

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

yes it is

go to mouser, Farnell as 2 examples

if there is +5V coming out of it .... no

Dave

Alex Santos likes this.
Ask a Question