Maker Pro
Maker Pro

HELP NEEDED - Faulty home theater

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
You were right to take closer photos of the individual capacitors, those are bulging or expanding therefore need replacing.

I should hope the transformer isnt faulty yet and the power problem is due to the faulty capacitors. You should replace all the bulging capacitors and briefly test the device first.

I see at least 2 bulging, try looking from a horizontal perspective and look for leaking ones.. it can help distinguish the faulty caps.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
It looks like you have a problem with bulging electrolytics. Nothing personal!

The big black cylindrical component in the middle of the second picture, an electrolytic capacitor, is visibly bulging at the top, and has actually leaked some electrolyte. The blue one to the left of it is also bulging noticeably. The third picture shows that another smaller black electrolytic is also bulging.

This is a common problem. It happens due to poor ventilation, poor component quality, poor design (underspecified componets), or just age. The capacitors can be replaced, but it's important to get all the information printed on them. Look for any electrolytic that's bulging at the top or bottom. Personally, I would replace all of the capacitors with the same brand name, even if they aren't all bulging, apart from the very large one (or two) that are rated at 150V or more. These are the input capacitors and they aren't subjected to so much stress as the output capacitors.

Don't use the unit until you've replaced those capacitors. Suitable replacements would be any high quality electrolytic, which means a Japanese brand - Rubycon, UCC (United Chemi-con), NCC (Nippon Chemi-Con), Panasonic. That will probably fix the problem.

Post a list of the capacitors you suspect, with ALL markings from them.

Also, add your location to your profile, and tell us who is your closest or preferred supplier for electronic components.

aqmal_12

May 28, 2014
Thank you @Sadlercomfort . Yes you are right, there are two bulging capacitors which one of them is starting to leak. I have checked the rest of the capacitors and they seem fine except those two. Is there any other cause for this problem?

aqmal_12

May 28, 2014
@KrisBlueNZ thank you for your advice. I will definitely look around for the similar capacitor and replace all of them. My electrical knowledge is almost non-existent so I'm really glad to hear all of the inputs.

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
Great! My apologies, But just remember the electrolytic capacitors have to be the right way around.

Please post again if you have further questions.

Ash,

aqmal_12

May 28, 2014
@KrisBlueNZ I have checked thoroughly like you instructed and only these two are bulging. The markings on them are as below, I hope the images are clear to you. I'm currently living in Malaysia and will try to look for the parts as per your recommendation at the nearby stores.

1st capacitor: http://postimg.org/image/4jqy5u37x/
2nd capacitor: http://postimg.org/image/7ydpzpo0d/

@Sadlercomfort Thanks for your advice! I will definitely post again if I have further questions.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I would replace that second cap with one rated at 105C as well ( instead of the 85C that it currently is)

Dave