Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help needed - bilge pump alert

Tommyc1970

Jun 15, 2021
Hi folks hoping someone can help. I'm returning a boat, installing a 12v bilge pump connected to a float switch to trigger the pump when there's water. Because I spend a lot of time away from the boat, I was wanting to have a warning light on my dash that will tell me that at some point whilst away the bilge pump had been running. And then I can reset the warning light ready for next time. What's the best way to do this?

crutschow

May 7, 2021
What's the best way to do this?
Not sure what would be "best" but a simple way, with no electronics, is a 12V dual-coil latching relay that lights the lamp.

Cheaper, but slightly more complex, would be circuit with a latch, such as a CD4013 flip-flop driving an LED.

Your choice.

ivak245

Jun 11, 2021
You could use an SCR like this-Capture.JPG and use an LED or bulb as the load. The "off" switch is the reset, the "on" is a 12 v signal from the switch. When the gate signal is removed (12v from the float switch), the SCR keeps conducting until it is reset. You can also put a reset switch in series with the load, but it has to be a normally closed type switch.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Relay alternative as per diagram below.

All additional parts could be housed up in behind the dash panel fed from 3 wires from the pump location.

PUMPFA~1.jpg

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
The 'best way' for me is no light consuming no electricity and no relays, no more wiring, no splices, no more circuitry, no more contacts, no more switches...
A tiny hose tapping at the pump discharge flow routed to an empty bottle above the sludge area. If you find water in the bottle, is because the pump ran. Reset: empty the bottle.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
A tiny hose tapping at the pump discharge flow routed to an empty bottle above the sludge area. If you find water in the bottle, is because the pump ran. Reset: empty the bottle.
To me, adding that tap and hose is more work than adding a very simple circuit.
And the circuit gives you a remote indication.

Long live the deciBel.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Just what one needs.
More water being pumped inside the hull.