Connect with us

Help Needed About Transformers

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Airian_007, Feb 28, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Airian_007

Airian_007

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi
    i am new to this forum and electronics you can say i am a beginner
    last day i opened a cell phone charger and was exploring it i found a small transformer may be called chopper i want to know what was that and what was the purpose of that thing on the charger.
    THANX IN ADVANCE.

2. neon

neon

Oct 21, 2006
    are you sure that that is not the modem output transformer?

3. Mitchekj

Mitchekj

Jan 24, 2010
    A cell phone charger more than likely has a couple things that could *look* like a transformer, but may or may not be actual xformers... A low wattage charger probably has one line choke on the input, and then the actual transformer (this probably has three windings: primary, secondary, and one for generating Vcc.) I'd wager that it's set up as a flyback topology, but you never know what designers do these days in the name of cost reduction. Being a 'low power' supply and most likely switching at very high frequencies, the transformers and other magnetics don't need to be very large.

If you're really curious, maybe you can post a pic or two and we can take a peek? If you do, please try to get a high quality pic: not blurry, showing all components, from a couple angles with good lighting, etc. :)

4. Airian_007

Airian_007

Feb 28, 2010
    As i told you that i am new to electronics so
    i want to know about this transformer
    i have seen many big transformers with primary and secondary windings
    but this small transformer has i think more than two coils............?
    Thanx For Reply

5. Mitchekj

Mitchekj

Jan 24, 2010
    Oh, and one more thing (since you're a self proclaimed beginner!):
    Do be careful in there... it should go without saying that you shouldn't be poking around while the thing is plugged in unless you're very certain of what you're doing.

Even if it's NOT plugged in, the bulk storage cap(s) can hold a high voltage for a decent time if it was not designed with bleeder resistors to prevent just such a thing from happening. (Hey, that'd be an extra $0.001, can't have that.) Particularly if you're in a 240Vac region. Use caution! :)

6. chromedragon

chromedragon

Mar 15, 2010
    I too would like to see what is is where it is relative to the other components in the circuit.

7. Airian_007

Airian_007

Feb 28, 2010
    ok thanks to all of you for replying and i will take pic of that circuit and will post soon once again thankx to all

Ask a Question